Cabinet handle jig

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Truckcab79, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Already got the Hafele one and it’s fine, a bit flimsy but today I noticed I’ve chipped a bit off of it and I also find it’s very easy to knock the horizontal alignment out if you’re not careful.

Without spending hundreds what are others using?

Many thanks.

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Personally, i think most handle jigs are a waste of money and time. During my time as a kitchen fitter i've actually bought 3, always hoping "this one" will be "the one".
    In fact, they all all turned out to be rubbish.
    I now make my own jig for each and every job, then skip it. It takes less than 10 mins to make a jig on a table saw at zero cost. It only has to be accurate for that job which is fine by me.

3. Truckcab79

Funnily enough that’s what I used to do but today I had a wardrobe handle job for a client. Super-expensive bespoke wardrobes with fancy push to open drawers which they’d got fed up with for various reasons so I was fitting handles for them. 6 different sizes so an adjustable jig was ideal. But to make 6 of them on site when I’m charging by the hour isn’t practical.

Have seen a decent one from Rutland. Like an expensive original version of the £15 Amazon copies I assume by the look of it. £40 might be worth a punt.

kitfit1 likes this.
  4. DBCDIY

DBCDIY Screwfix Select

OK, so I had 'brain fade' one night - or too much % alcohol - and bought the American TP-1934 jig. Yep, it's really well made and delivers every time - trouble is to buy it I had to taker out a second mortgage. What was I thinking?

I recently spotted Rutland selling a clone, at a fraction of the price, and it just confirmed the feeling that I'd been 'stung'.

Still, you live and learn :)

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Just looked at the one from Rutland and WOW.......................that is the best looking and well made bit of handle jig kit i've seen in years. Just pressed the buy button lol :D.

I will say though that i feel for @DBCDIY because £40 as opposed to £223 for what looks like the same thing is a big price to pay for a night of alcohol :eek::D

6. DBCDIY

DBCDIY Screwfix Select

The ££ hangover lasted for weeks, kitfit1, but the mortgage company are happy - now that interest rates have gone up! ;-)

kitfit1 likes this.
  7. Truckcab79

Well, based on that I’ve just bought one too so I hope you’re not being sarcastic. :D

kitfit1 likes this.
  8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Nope, not being sarcastic. Mine should arrive on Tuesday and will be using it on Thursday. Will post back as to what my thoughts are about it once i've used it.

Truckcab79 likes this.
  9. Truckcab79

Cheers.
    Would appreciate that.
    Also it looks like it has 5mm guide bushes but I’d be interested to know how you drill yours. For instance the wardrobes I did yesterday were all pre-finished so I went up in fours sizes to avoid excessive chipping Of the veneer. With the 5mm bush I’d struggle to get an accurate centre point though could obviously mark with a 5mm and then go back to pilot size and work back up.

I have a lathe so could turn my own but that would just make the process even slower.

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I always use 5mm drill bits anyway and use a "Drill Doctor" to keep them sharp. I never bother with "piloting holes first. With a very sharp drill bit, i've never found the need to use a pilot hole.
    Although it's supposed to be here on Tuesday, Rutland use Royal Mail.............................so should be here by mid 2023.....................with a bit of luck lol.

Truckcab79 likes this.
  11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have that jig and it's good but I don't use it for every occasion I might. It's often quicker to use a site made marking jig which I then follow up with a drill guide to ensure that I'm drilling through at 90 degrees. When I do use it I am always pleased with how easy it is to get consistent accurate results.

They are 5mm bushes and if memory serves mine came with some spares. One of the sliding components was very obviously out of line with its counterparts and I contacted Rutlands who sent out replacements immediately - excellent customer service to be fair.

Whatever jig or marking aid I use, I drill with a 5mm brad point/lip and spur bit at high speed and I clamp or hold a block a block of wood on the back to prevent spelching.

Truckcab79 likes this.
  12. Truckcab79

Good point (no pun intended). Just ordered some up.

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Well, used this for the first time today. I must say i'm well impressed. Very accurate and very easy to set up as well. It's just as well it is easy to set up because it comes with no instructions, that said, i suppose if you know you need one of these you really shouldn't need any instructions.
    The only disappointing thing about it is that it comes with no case, just a cardboard box and bits of foam. I would have happily paid another few quid to have a proper case to keep it in.................no doubt i'll find something though.

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

could make a box up using all the mis-drilled door and drawer fronts :rolleyes:

WillyEckerslike and kitfit1 like this.
  15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Behave.........:D

CGN likes this.
  16. Truckcab79

Got mine too. Likewise surprised that there were no instructions and that given how nicely packed it comes for delivery, that there was no case for storage. It’ll live in a section of a Stanley Sortmaster anyway so no big deal but would have been nice that it was supplied.

Look forward to using it.

kitfit1 likes this.
  17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The fact that it didn't come with a storage case came as big surprise to me. Especially as one of the reviews on Rutland's website actually mentions the storage case. Had a look earlier on the site and there is no option to buy a case either. In my mind this is something that should be a no brainer for Rutland.

18. DBCDIY

DBCDIY Screwfix Select

I should have told you guys that if you'd only spent another £160 - on the American made version - you'd have got a plastic case too! :)

kitfit1 likes this.
  19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Does the plastic case come with a big hangover though ? :D

DBCDIY likes this.
  20. DBCDIY

DBCDIY Screwfix Select

To be honest the hangover's almost outlasted the case, kitfit1 :)