Cable Options

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pollowick, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Have a job where I need to replace three 2.5mm² singles, red, red and red (and not well marked) that run in conduit with something a little more conventional. The run is around 25 to 30 m but is not straight with plenty of bends and curves.

Any recommendations for a three core - possibly/preferably flexible that could be used. Flat T&E or SWA would fit, but getting it pulled through will be a pain.

I could just replace it with new singles but then would need extra trunking/conduit at each end as it is currently not protected.

Any recommendations on cable type?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hi tuff /NYY-J cable.

3. Pollowick

Did think of that, but last time I found it a little rigid having the double insulation layer. NYY is another option but it can be solid conductor rather than stranded.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. What are the singles feeding,is it three phase and do you not need a cpc too ?

6. Pollowick

Single phase - Live, Neutral, Earth ! Yes, red, red and red at one end, red, red and black at teh other - so there is a join somewhere! A good reason to replace.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Are you putting it back in the conduit? Singles would be obvious, sorting containment at ends. Or YY.

8. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Are there any boxes / inspection openings in the conduit run? Could some/more be added?

What type of conduit is it? Could the bends be undone to help pull cable through?

9. Pollowick

Fairly old black heavyweight flexible conduit without joints. It goes though some inaccessible places including through voids in concrete beams. No real opportunity to open up except at one point which may help. Singles could be the answer but wanted to avoid a box at the ends and stay with a single run - at present the singles come out and are clipped with no extra protection.

10. Pollowick

This gets even more interesting - had a detailed look yesterday and could break into the conduit in a couple of places which may make it easier to pull new through.

What do I find - cables change from R,R & R to R, R & Bk at some point; At one end they are 2.5 or 4mm (actually an imperial predecessor) and at the other they are 1.5 mm.

11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Are you sure you're looking at the same run. :p:p:p

12. Pollowick

Yes, 100%. Disconnected and proven. And I think I know where the joints might be as the fish tape hits an obstruction or two!