Cable size info

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spike47, Sep 28, 2021.

1. spike47

spike47 Member

Does

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

NO!

The current carrying capacity isn’t that simple. And the figures vary (slightly) by maker.
    And the current carrying capacity also depends on the installation method.
    check out this table
    22909AFB-FC18-43E8-865B-326432236124.jpeg
    http://www.batt.co.uk/upload/files/currentratingstable4d5_1312876143.pdf

As you can see, the current rating of 10mm cable is only - roughly - double that of 2.5mm.

spike47 likes this.
  3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

That went well :rolleyes:

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Oh, was it something I said?

sparky steve and terrymac like this.
  5. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Maybe an ego thing Bazza?
    Cable size matters. :):D

6. spike47

spike47 Member

Sorry, it seems my post has been partialy deleted, here goes again.
    Does 4 x2.5mm2 cable carry the same load has 1x10mm2, the reason I am asking this question is that if you add 4x2.5mm2 add the average Amps will equal around 88A, but a 10mm2 will only take around 50A, these are just average figures, so I am having difficulty in working out what will the load of 9x0.06mm dia wire be and what will be a single wire comparison be ?, this is for a Transformer rewire . Don't need to take any burried/open/ etc equations into account, just a average .
    Note: It was a multi strand wire soldered together and of course each strand is insulated ( laquered) .

Spike

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Put 4x2.5 twisted together in a single sleeve and you will find the total crrent is probably close to or lower than 1x10

Take 6mm cable - it has 7 strands each a little under 1mm. 1mm takes, in one case 13A, so 7x13=91A but 6mm is only rated at 41A

or 10mm has 7 strands of 1.5 (nominal) and at 18A each would suggest 126A, but 10mm is only 54A . Lay out 7 1.5 mm cables suitable separated and you will be able to pass much nearer the 120A.

However, you are working down at very fine diameter, and you will also have layers of wire meaning heat disippation comes into it too. Have a search for 7x.06 and you may find some figures, but overall it is likely to be low.

spike47 likes this.