Cables In A Double Backbox - Enough Room To Terminate?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by J.P., Aug 8, 2013.

1. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Evening ladies and gents..:)

[​IMG]

The backbox is a 47mm deep one and total depth is what 52mm. I have to terminate 7 x 1.0 mm and 2 x 1.5mm in the box do you reckon there is enough room? The plate switch  will be a 6 ganger, and I envisage using Wago's. Cheers guys.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Where's yer grommets?

Good luck with that.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

LOADS of room!  A 35mm would be fine too!

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Cheers Lec.

5. J.P.

J.P. New Member

20mm round protuding what a 1/16th into box HA.

6. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I've incorporated your advice Lec into the design- 12 lights in total a switch for each bank of 6 - I was going to switch the lot on with one switch -  flipping heck.

7. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Is that 6 banks of 2lights JP ?  bet you get fed up operating all 6 switches when you want the lights on

you would get all them at a squeeze into a single 35mm box

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

What did U use to THRASH the box hole out with JP? :eek:

A Pan Shovel? 

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Evening LD - no its a 6 gang switch going into the box. Two banks of 6 = 2 switches. cab lights = 1 switch, exterior lights = 1 switch, lights above breakfast bar = 1 switch and the 5 Amp SO's = 1 switch which totals up to 6 switches - its all loop in box. with 3 feeds.

I was thinking with ref to loop in box and multiple circuits in said - you have to be careful when cabling up otherwise you could easily end up using wrong neutrals and stuff. Never had the problem but you have to concentrate. I might use markers, and I look forward to using Wago's for the first time.

10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

No I stitched it Sine - once I get a skim going it will disappear

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

:)Gone to the trouble of marking out 2 good lines, then guessed the rest!!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I just wanted to get the box in LD..flipping heck Ive had enough of using grinder and stuff--dust and this and that..nope I just whipped a fine bit into my SDS and stitched and hoovered at the same time..:)

13. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Even with all that spay foam you still want a couple of fixings from box into substrate

As you tighten up the face plate it will be trying to pull the box forwards

14. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Thanks Dave