Cables in the loft

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sparky4434, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Sparky4434

Sparky4434 New Member

Hi All,
    We have just had our bungalow rewired and have a question about the cables in the loft. The electricians have pulled them all around the loft and not clipped any down. They go over all of the joists (a problem as we plan to put boarding down). Is this acceptable under the new regs? I know years ago cables had to be clipped down and tradesmen used to take pride in making things look nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  2. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Bloody hell, that looks like it needs rewiring mate.. Any spark worth his salt will clip around the edges as far as possible as most know people tend to put gear in the loft, I can see you pulling down your xmas tree from that loft and bringing half the wiring with you

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

This question of good workmanship comes up time and time again. The issue is that 7671 would classify an attic as a void space, same as under the floor or a riser or whatever, so technically there is no reason to clip them up as technically 7671 says it's ok for cables to lie loose if there is no reason why technically they should be disturbed. If the ceiling is plasterboard then for a domestic this is generally accepted to be adequate to provide the one hour fire protection (I think, is it an hour?) before the ceiling collapses entangling anyone unlucky enough below it in the shonky cabling.

4. bright_Spark

Technically may be ok if you just take the regs to the letter. However pride and moraly right plays a part that the regs miss out. I have clipped cables each time around the perimiter. Everyone stores gear in the roof space and when you get rewired from existing systems, the chances are it is conduited out and well clipped. So what has changed. Part P and the regs. Its a disgrace regardless of it meeting any regs.

5. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

This is just typical **** work. Pay good dollar to get a job done properly and find the kids at the local school could of done better. Name and shame the cock

bright_Spark likes this.
  6. bright_Spark

I am seeing more and more of this type of workmanship on a daily basis. Have we got a clip shortage now?

Sparkielev likes this.
  7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

From an electrical standpoint there is nothing wrong, from a practical and skill viewpoint its awful!!

There are some arguments against clipping (in that a screw or nail will bump a loose cable bit pierce a clipped one) but regardless of that the cables should be tucked under the binders and run where possible along the side of the joists or in the voids so that you can move around without tripping over cables and of course board the space.

But, they can't technically be accused of a fault in reality!

Happily it isn't a major task to disconnect and re route for a good spark

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well this is it. I bet the op went with the lowest quote.
    Take it up with who ever they are registered with, worth a try, nothing to lose.

9. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

If your not gonna clip, at least go under the beams :mad:.

When I boarded my mom's loft I used them plastic stilt things from Amazon, so you could just clip the cables best you can( not that you should have to) then the stilts raise the boards.

Edit: just looked they do the stilts at screwfix oops :oops: £17.99 for 20

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    bright_Spark likes this.
  10. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Covid is being used as a get out of jail card for all manor of business which is poorly managed!

bright_Spark likes this.
  11. bright_Spark

Agreed

12. Tony Goddard

Thats very true, trades are rushing in and out of houses, wearing face nappies and blue latex gloves, rushing work to protect their customer.

I went to do a job for a Virologist last week, I asked him politely if he wanted me to wear a mask as I have been asking every customer - why? he asked, does it make you feel comfortable?!

13. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

And dare i say it..... Covid is a very convienient? Smoke screen for the Dreaded Brexit Disaster!!

14. Tony Goddard

That and the fuel shortage has been a boon for the electric car agenda too, covid has taught the politicians that the public respond in certain ways to scare tactics and take a long time to settle down, i fear they will use what they have learned again and again.

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Not convinced that the fuel shortage wasn't "created" to move all the unleaded that was going off int the tanks from 15 months of lockdowns lol. But thats another conversation.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I would ask them if they could tidy it up as you are planning to use it for storage. But, did you not tell them this to start with?

stevie22 and Adamfya like this.
  17. Sparky4434

Sparky4434 New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. The company in question have agreed to come back and tidy up the cables. They certainly weren't the cheapest quote by a long way! They did a great job on the parts that you could easily see, it was just the mess in the loft. We did explain before they started that we wanted to put boards down.
    I think I may have to get back into the game if this meets the latest regs! Lots of money and little pride or skill it seems nowadays....

Adamfya likes this.
  18. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Loft wiring in all practical situations will ...always...create a situation where a cable cuts across a beam.
    So either notch the beam or put packers on all the beams.
    If lofts are to be boarded, are the beams man enough to support the weight of the proposed use ?
    I doubt it unless its simple storage.
    j