Cables Through Cavity Wall

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seavigil, Dec 11, 2003.

1. seavigil

seavigil New Member

Hi folks,

I need to run a few cables through a cavity wall which was once an outside wall so Breeze block/cavity/facing brick.

I understand that cables should now be protected in case of polystyrene or similiar insulation material being placed in the cavity which could draw out the placticiser from the cable sheath and cause problems.

Any preferences on the type of conduit to use , rigid/flexible/plastic water pipe?

If I have 1x1.5mm and 2x4mm to go through, one big hole or 3 separate ones.

As this goes through to the garage should the conduit be bunged up to prevent smoke transmission through the conduit in the event of a fire. If so what should be used.

Cheers
    DJW

2. MICC

MICC Member

Why not run the cables inside and chase the walls, it was always hard getting cables down a cavity wall even without the added protction.

3. seavigil

seavigil New Member

Cables going through horizontally from the hallway/CU into garage then clipped direct through the garage to the utility room for lights and two radials one on RCD other for mission critical loads ( big white thing that keeps beer cool)

Garage/Utilities were built between the houses 3 years after they were built(Ca 1976). Unfortunately the plonker who installed the wiring spured the lot form a socket in the kitchen which was probably ok a fridge and CH boiler back then. I only discoverd this recently when I was about to extend the ring for another socket and a RCD-FCU for the greenhouse heater.

Plug swapping two washing machines is a right pain when wifey wants to spin with one while the others washing. The heater to the greenhouse also has to share the same socket and I dread the day when someone forgets to plug it back in when the washers finished.

DJW

DJW

4. sheddyeddie

sheddyeddie New Member

try this

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

If you add an FCU where the socket currently is, you can then run (from the fused side) as many sockets as you want (subject to 13A max draw overall - although that doesn't mean the fuse will blow at 13.00001A).

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Ancient thread resurrected by a numpty jimbo

BiancoTheGiraffe and Jimbo like this.