Calculating materials needed for concrete slab

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by MickeyD, Jul 6, 2021.

1. MickeyD

MickeyD New Member

Hello,

I am going to be pouring a concrete slab as a shed base to the follow dimensions:

4.8m x 2.7m at 7.5cm thick.

Thinkin of going with blue circle ready mix bags but not sure how many I would likely need.
    Open to alternative suggestions too.

Thanks.

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Have you priced that up?
    Compare it to premix £s. Just so much quicker.

3. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

A bag does 0.01 cubic metre :eek:

4. MickeyD

MickeyD New Member

So I am looking at about 100 bags.
    Hmmm.... that would be rather expensive.

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

You are looking at around 1 cubic metre off all in one ballast plus maybe 15 bags of cement. Cost around £150 ish.

A bulk bag typically contains around 0.5 cubic metre.

Using ready mix bags - 100 of them at around £5-6 each, so £550

IN both cases you will have mixng time too. Be very sure of the depth, is it onto a firm base or into rough hardcore. Will you need a little more than 1m? you might if itis actually 80 or 85 mm.

Also, get some polyester fibres and add a handful to each mix.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I know it's nice to work hard and all, and there's a deep sense of satisfaction in calculating, mixing and laying the measured quantities out perfectly, but I would at least enquire with the local volumetric-mix it on site concrete suppliers how much they would charge for a cube, if it's in the region of £2-250 then I would bite their arm off and save all the faffing about.

FlyByNight likes this.
  7. MickeyD

MickeyD New Member

Bulk bags of ballast are a possibility.
    It is a very solid foundation. I have put down type 1 MOT plus a layer of self-binding gravel on top. A little overkill but it isn't going anywhere.

Will look into volumetric mix too. The only other company I found was Spotmix.