Calling all chippies an roofers - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Funky_Pigeon, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Funky_Pigeon

Funky_Pigeon New Member

Okay, so I'm guna have to call on the hive mind for a little help here, as I can't bend my head around what I need to do.

I'll attach pictures to help with what I'm explaining.

I've been asked to fit a prefab conservatory roof replacement from Timberlite. Which will abut an existing extension wall and intersect its roof. Will install a EPDM/GRP gutter at the abutment. But can't visualise the neatest, most weatherproof way to deal with the intersection.

I have threw together an quick an dirty, but scaled, CAD drawing to help you see where the pitch will intersect.

Any advice, even better with pics/links/examples to help me visualise, would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot (69).png

Screenshot (71).png

Screenshot (72).png

Screenshot (73).png

20220928_131748.jpg

20220921_161851.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-21 181523.png

Top down accurate measurements.png

Thanks for reading. Any more info, let me know.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It’s a terribly designed pigs ear and forever will be a high risk water ingress area. Extend the tiled roof into the prefab roof with a layboard and fit cripple rafters is probably the neatest, but you need to check the prefab roof can take the weight, which I wouldn’t put money on.

Abrickie and stuart44 like this.
  3. Funky_Pigeon

Funky_Pigeon New Member

Totally agree that in an ideal world this would be the best way buddy. But as you said, I dont think the prefab or the frame would be able to support the weight.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Then pay an Engineer for a report, change the tiled roof for slates to match the prefab and lighten the load, adapt and strengthen the prefab roof, do a cut roof instead of a prefab or abandon the idea altogether. Not much choice. You could also change the tiles for ply and bitumen shingles as the weight will be a lot less but it’s a shat idea and is a bodge in the real world.

Abrickie likes this.