Camera Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Paul Blackburn, Jun 16, 2021.

1. My wife needs to replace her camera and her current one uses one of these small micro memory card's so she has to use a adapter.She has been looking on Amazon for a reasonably priced camera but one which comes with a standard size memory card but they dont seem to say what type of memory card is fitted can someone advise thanks

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Micro SD is pretty much the standard now, particularly on the lower cost ones, but I would expect it to say either SD, SDHC or Micro SD on the spec. If it is a branded one, the best option would be to go to the manufacturers website and get the full spec sheet from there.

4. So on the description of the camera what is she looking for in regards to whether or not it is a Micro version or the larger version.What would it say if it had the larger memory card.Thank's

5. sparky steve

978D467F-D0C2-43D5-A2A7-BCE7C291C787.png
    SD

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  6. Thanks for that I will tell her she needs a camera which uses a SD card is that correct.Thanks

7. sparky steve

That’s correct Paul:)

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I suspect the driver behind this question is rapidly evolving technology ! Each time I bought an new cameras the card format has changed, from CF, XD, SD and now variants of SD. My phone has no removable memory at all ! Thing to do is buy the camera based on your needs and not on its memory card type. What I have done is buy a high security disk drive with RAID capability and back my photos onto it! Takes minutes and safer than leaving them on cards. Another useful tool is a multi format card reader for your PC.

9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Sony do not as a rule supply cards with their camera. The retailer may throw one in to get a deal.

10. She does have a spare SD card would that fit into the camera

11. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Paul, she could use the card she has but generally speaking the newer cards have better performance. If are just taking a few pics the old one is fine but if you are taking fast bursts at high resolution or taking 4K video at high frame rate the old card may struggle. Cards are relatively cheap compared to a new camera

12. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I would just get the camera that suits your needs, then buy a suitable memory card for it.
    The latest cards are cheaper and faster than ever.

13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

@Paul Blackburn if you look halfway down the page they do a deal with the recommended SD card too.

14. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select