Can’t get old tap off

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by John coll, Jan 18, 2020.

1. John coll

John coll New Member

I’m a newbie to plumbing and attempting to remove old mixer tap. All guides suggest there a nut underneath the sink which when removed will allow baseplate to be removed. Unfortunately, under mine there is no nut but what looks like a very rusted u shaped piece of metal. Photo hopefully attached. Any tips how this comes off?

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

What are they chances you can get sink off and flip over. I always took sink off/out and flip over. Fit new tap and drop back on. Get that felt stuff out the way, there is a nut there somewhere.

Edit. It's not felt it's rust. Ok.

Well get both water pipes off and tap should come off. The nut is missing. I can see now after another look. Might need to tap to shock it (smack) break rusty seal that's holding it. Could be silicone under tap holding it on. That maybe the trouble.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    John coll likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Been a few of these taps posted here lately with a somewhat unconventional fixing method (well, not as common as the ‘usual horseshoe washer, threaded stud and nut job)

To me, the threaded stud looks like it has a hex socket head just made for an Allen key (or hex driver) - must be a reason for that ?

Give good spray with WD40 type stuff and get Allen key in that stud and try to loosen it off

May shield some light on fixing method - good luck

John coll and WillyEckerslike like this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Either an Allen key in the base of the threaded rod or something to do with the white plastic tab sticking out out of the part within the rusted metal (pull or squeeze maybe).

John coll likes this.
  5. John coll

John coll New Member

Thanks for the suggestions but so far no further luck. Have managed to remove what look plastic clips using a scissors but the drum shape object above the rusted butterfly plate will not shift. There is no sign of a slot but I think the drum shaped object is the problem. Did consider taking the sink off but the waste water connector will not move with any amount of pressure. I might need to get a professional in ☹️

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

What happens when you twist the top while holding the tap from above. Any movement?

7. John coll

John coll New Member

No movement at all

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Get screwdriver or something in here and get levering IMG_20200119_151941.jpg

9. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Many are undone from above the sink with a 5mm long allen key.

a photo of the top of the tap around the spout area might show where :)

is it a kitchen sink or a basin ?

10. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Did you try an allen key in the end of the threaded rod to unscrew as Willy suggested? Looks the most likely way to me.

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Wrap some semtex around the connection. Vacate house and activate!

12. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

13. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Can you post a photo of tap itself. As The Teach said, it looks as though it needs a long allen key from the top where the waste pop-up lever is inserted.

14. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Can’t see any sign of a pop up waste rod unless it’s hidden behind the copper tails. I’ve never seen the type of tap that’s mentioned above that fixes from above so will be interested to see how this pans out.

15. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The rod usually goes through the hex nut, so it may have been removed.

16. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Ah - that makes sense.

17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Yes
    Yes it does doesn't it. The fitting probably dropped through the hole from the top and the white plastic spring flips it out toggle style then you tighten it from above.

Edit: Exactly like the drawing Teach posted. Sorry, couldn't open it before.