Can’t seem to find an answer???

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Pastmyprime?, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Pastmyprime?

Pastmyprime? New Member

Right, here goes.
    We are looking to replace kitchen worktops, the ones in situ look to have a diy “extension” to them (im saying look to have, they blatantly have ), and the units and tiles have been extended along as well.
    This now means that the U shape (with 2 joins) at its two longest points are over 270 cm each.
    Budget is tight and all the worktops we are looking at come in at 246 cm lengths.
    Basically the long winded question I am looking to get answers is can another join be put in to enable the worktops to fit (eg put a 1m “square bit” in a corner, it’s a darker corner away from the sink)?
    Apologies for the rambling!!!

2. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

I am fairly sure that worktops are available in 3 metre lengths .

3. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

How are the lengths on that 'U' laid out, Pmp? Sketch?

But if you are asking whether a neat join can be made in a straight length, then the technical answer is 'yes', but all fitters would really try and avoid it.

The only exception, I would suggest, would be Maia-type worktops which can actually be blended together to make a near-invisible joint.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Depending on tops, 4 metre lengths are available.

KIAB likes this.
  5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

If the worktops you are considering are only 2.46m in length and you actually need them to be longer, then stop looking at the 2.46m worktops. I'm assuming you are looking at Ikea tops ? because they are the only ones i know of that come 2.46m ?
    Yes they are cheap, or at least look cheap to a DIY'er. There are 1000's of different tops on the market from even more sources, most are a minimum of 3m in length and will cost more or less the same as Ikea tops.

Allsorts and WillyEckerslike like this.
  6. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Any decent fitter would be able to use the 2.46m length with the side pieces and make some sort of mason's mitre to fit.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Of course any decent fitter could, which clearly you are not because there would no need for "some sort of mason's mitre". Any person with an ounce of sense would buy worktops long enough to cover the run of worktop needed to do the job. Especially if replacing worktops that had already been cobbled together in the first place.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

This is HandyAndy talking...