Can a plank mounted to an outside wall cause damp?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ryan3121, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ryan3121

ryan3121 New Member

I have a room that seems pretty damp, it doesn't have window vents and sometimes hasn't had the window opened much when I've been away working so there are some doubts as to if there is actually a problem or not.

I purchased a meter with two pins that you stick into the ground, although not very credit worthy (I assume) it did have a lot of consistency across the concrete floors elsewhere in the home, around 10-15% readings, most of the floor seems to be about 12-18% in the room which suffers from damp however in one particular corner the readings are as high as 28%, I have had water on the walls in this spot.

On this spot on the wall outside the neighbors have mounted a wooden plank from the ground to around 6ft up, they have done this because there is a gap between the garden wall and my house so I could otherwise see into their garden.

Could this actually act as a bridge for damp to rise above DPC? I have attached a photo.
    I suppose its also possible for water to collect behind it.

I have asked the question here as I don't want to go around asking them to remove it if it's not doing anything. I am considering offering them £50 to find an alternative solution to the privacy issue. plank dpc.jpg

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

i dont think it would cause your problems fencing is always attached to a post on the house wall without causing problems whose wall did they attach it yours without permission. i think the main problems is lack of air circulation leaving the old cold air in the room whilst your away causing damp spots and not being refreshed enough.

3. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Which wall is yours, the brick or the block?

Anyway both seem modern cavity walls so the plank is not the issue. Ventilation and heating will be causing the problem.

Also, it'd be useful to get thermal image camera images to check if the wall insulation is the same in that area as the rest of the house. Does it have retrofitted cavity wall insulation? An unfilled patch becomes a cold spot which attracts condensation.

4. ryan3121

ryan3121 New Member

thats my shed on the nearside right, the plank (in the distance) is mounted to the brick which is my house, there is still a gap between the plank and their garden wall. Not much money has been invested in the house so I don't think its had insulation. thanks for the replies so far