Can anyone help...i have a repeatedly leaking / dripping tap in a new build.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by HJ Deen, Jun 29, 2020.

1. HJ Deen

HJ Deen New Member

Hi All,

I would appreciate if anyone can help diagnose the root cause for this strange issue we are facing?

I have a repeatedly dripping or leaking tap in my kitchen sink. We got this new build house 4 years ago and this has occurred at least 6 times. The kitchen tap would start dripping even when fully closed. Since we have warranty we will call up the builder and they would come and replace the tap. This has happened 6 times now within 4 years. Each one is a brand new tap (£100+) and it happens again.

The builder's plumbers dont have a clue. Appreciate if any expert recognise this problem and suggest a root cause and fix so that i can get back to the builder.

Thank you, stay safe,

HJ Deen

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If it is happening with a variety of different taps, then it could be that your water supplier is supplying you with dirty water, and small particles of dirt are getting in between the ceramic discs that are supposed to be tight together. This would cause a leak.
    If they keep on replacing the taps with the same brand and model taps, then I would tell them to change both brand and model next time round. Otherwise they'll be getting yet another callout in a few months.

Mike58 likes this.
  3. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Much the same as my thoughts,
    Or there is a large amount of residual sand in the pipes or storage tank that is slowly coming through.

4. HJ Deen

HJ Deen New Member

Thanks Roger, they have changed a variety of brands and models now. That is helpful and i will suggest to them.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

6. andy48

andy48 Active Member

might be worth checking the incoming water pressure. Might be on the high side for the tap and need a pressure reducing valve inserting in the main.