Can anyone please help me with a question about BT drop wires...?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Clare Bunning, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

Hi! I'm going slightly crazy trying work out what has happened with our BT phone line. It was working fine, but the drop wires accidentally got pulled and disconnected from the internal phone wires (to be honest BT Open Reach had done such a shoddy job connecting the drop wires to the internal wires, it was inevitable that this would happen at some point - they are visible and just loosely wrapped around each other and dangling down in our hallway).

We have a double master socket which branches off with one cable for the phone and the other for the broadband. The threads going into this socket are blue and an orangey/tan. The wires that go into the phone socket itself have remained intact, so there shouldn't be an issue there as nothing has changed.

The issue is with the wires that were poorly joined together at the point where the BT wire comes into our house. I've looked at loads of diagrams online to try and get this working again, but our drop wires are completely different colours to any I've seen online, so I'm wondering if someone can advise. We only have 3 wires coming in - black, orange and green. Our internal wire is comprised of blue, brown, green and an orangey/tan colour. I know the blue and orangey/tan threads are obviously critical as these are the colours that are going into the phone master socket itself, but what colours should they be connected to?

Threads coming in - black, orange, green
    Internal threads - blue, orangey/tan, brown, green

I hope this makes sense! Can anyone please help? Thanks!

2. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

I think the wiring up to and including the master socket are the responsibility of the provider.

3. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

Hi Comlec, I think they probably are the provider's responsibility, but I'm guessing they will take ages to come round and have a look and I was hoping for a quick fix if possible! :)

4. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Only six possible connections if done by trial and error

Blue > Blue
    Orangey/Tan > Black

Blue > Blue
    Orangey/Tan > Orange

Blue > Orange
    Orangey/Tan > Black

Blue > Orange
    Orangey/Tan > Blue

Blue > Green
    Orangey/Tan > Orange

Blue > Green
    Orangey/Tan > Black

5. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

That is very true actually - i will try those 6 combinations now. Thanks!

6. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

The old old wires colours were
    Blue, Orange, Green and brown

NORMALLY (no guarantee) the two wires you need are the blue and orange. You should only have two wires coming in from the outside.

Post a photo of the back of the master socket.

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Should be A Black & B Green for incoming drop wire to NTE5 socket, but it went to

Post photo of internal wiring.

8. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Orange to 2 & Blue to 5 on socket

Proper mess, should really get Openreach to sort it, with new drop wire,etc.

10. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

So, having pulled the drop wire cable back a bit, I can see a tiny bit of white thread coming in as well, although I'm presuming this wasn't being used as it is pretty much not visible at all.

I should also mention that the internet is working with the way I've done it here - blue to black and orangey/tan to orange - but the phone line is still not working.... any suggestions?!

11. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

So there shouldn't be any problem with the orange to 2 and blue to 5 on the socket as that hasn't come out and is as it was originally - it's just the connection of the other end that's the problem!

12. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

A Black & B Green should sort incoming drop wire connection.

Surprised no proper junction box used to connect drop wire with internal wiring.

13. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Agree with KIAB. There should be a BT junction box to connect this up correctly.

14. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Must affect OP's broadband speed such shoddy wiring.

15. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

I'm really pleased to hear it's not just me who thinks this is a proper mess! The BT Open Reach man just left it connected like this, and although it did work, it was clearly a problem bound to happen! I'll give them a call and ask if someone can come out.

Can I just ask what you mean by A Black and B Green? Will this get my phone line back up and running in the interim while I wait for BT?

16. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

Yes - broadband speed is not good either...

17. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Think your better to get Openreach in to sort this,as there could be other line faults your unaware of.

If with BT, then DSL Checker should give you some idea as to your line potential speed.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Is drop wire outside,looking dodgy,can report line fault online.

And dialing 17070, option 2 Quiet Line Test, will tell if line is crackly.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  18. Clare Bunning

Clare Bunning New Member

Ok, will do - thank you all so much for your help!

19. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

The internal cable doesn’t look like BT cable, so this may have been moved by the customer.

20. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

IIRC, rules are that wiring after the master socket are the responsibility of the subscriber.
    If the broadband bit is still working, maybe the OP needs to get a local phone man to look at it, rather than Opencreak.

It sounds a bit like the master is one of those VDSL beasties that splits the broadband from the phone at the master socket itself.
    = NTE5C like this...?
    [​IMG]