Can anyone recommend a genny for under £300?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Carld, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Carld

Carld Member

Would like to have one just in case?

Cheers

T

2. techie

techie Screwfix Select

3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

You need to specify the wattage and it’s end use before someone can recommend one.

at £300, there are very few big brands but plenty of Chinese unbranded ones.

But if you are keeping one for emergencies, then by definition of the word alone you want something of high reliability. As it won’t be used on a daily basis but you want it start and run, perhaps on a cold night when there is a power outage this winter to keep the CH running , something like a Honda is the answer but they tend to be expensive. The cheaper unbranded engines can be tricky to start.

4. Carld

Carld Member

thanks quasar9. just for emergencies.

5. Carld

Carld Member

Thanks techie, as much use as **** on a bull.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

A couple of non electrical items to be aware of. Firstly, petrol with ethanol, it absorbs water from the air and will cause corrosion to steel petrol tanks, so get a genny with a coated or plastic tank. It also goes stale if not used, particularly true of two stroke mix. So store the genny with no fuel at all in it. Secondly, noise, fumes and security, it will need to be outside because of the exhaust fumes, this may create a noise issue with next door who are sitting in the dark, then the security, how will you prevent it being stolen? CarlD, could have used "A bicycle to a fish", or "An ashtray on a motorcycle". Other phrases are available.

8. Carld

Carld Member

Many thanks Bob, and you're right, should have used another phrase.

T

9. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

we live in a rural location that has a a lot of power inconveniences - they are not cuts according to our power company
    I use a clark 1100w - about £309 from sitebox. It runs the heating 180w for our combi, two laptops @ 65 watts each so 130w, our internet router 15 watts and a tv 120 watts and 50w of lights, so in all about 400 watts...

At 75% load on eco mode..it adjusts the engine speed to the load it runs for 5 hours on 2 ltrs of fuel, pretty quite, but you will need to shelter it a bit from rain.

I would suggest that you spend a bit on its connection to the house...think about it. If you run a trailing set of extensions then RCD protection is pretty shaky even with a ground earth rod, if you don't bang in an earth rod then you have only fuse protection..... think about how to get the power inside

As a bare minimum I would fit a small enclosure with an rcd and a 6 amp fuze (1000w at 240v is roughly 5 amps) running a good earth to it from the main board/ earth point then take any extension leads from there.

Personally I use a genny switch which isolates the mains and prevents backflow to the grid and then use my shiny consumer unit. A electrician should charge 150ish to fit it then you can use your main consumer unit and its earth, just switch off all the circuits before you switch over and remove all the loads from ring mains..unplug everything , turn off all the lights then add back what you need when the genny is up and running.

If you do decide to run the genny on extension leads always plug in the extension first to the genny then start with no load...wet hands its always raining when you need it and no rcd - smoking time

10. Bob Rathbone

I also live in a semi rural area and we do loose power. My current genny is an old Lister diesel hand crank start, does the job nicely, it's in a shed next to the house supply and is connected to the whole house with a changeover switch. Of course it is too small to run things like the kettle, but it keeps the lights on, the gas heating running and the TV. Thinking of changing it for an electric start 6 kW set sometime soon with automatic start and changeover.

11. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Wow! The old Lister low revving diesel ! Is it one of those with a compression levers used to get it started ? Classic .

12. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Water cooled? Go on forever!

13. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

That old Lister will outlive anything you buy now

14. Bob Rathbone

Air cooled, noisy, uses little fuel and it will go on and on. A great 'Black start' set. It is heavy.