Can I add a PIR/occupancy sensor to a Wilo Star-Z?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Competent Person, May 19, 2022.

1. Competent Person

Competent Person New Member

I like the Wilo Star-Z pumps because they have the "disinfection" mode and also temp sensing. But I want to have it activated by a PIR or occupancy sensor. This is for a secondary return for a bathroom that will only have occasional use.
    Or are there any other pump brands that have the similar sensing features that would allow an external trigger?
    Thanks.

2. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

So you have a loop out to the bathroom and the point of your secondary pump is to make hot water available to that bathroom without a massive delay when the h/w taps are turned on....so you are going to bypass that feature with a pir, pump power supply turned off until pir is triggered then the pump fires and water runs round the loop....
    So the question is what events do you need the pump to trigger for, you said temp and disinfection, if the pump is not running on the loop what's the point of those features ? Do you want those features or not... ie keeping the loop to temp and making sure that the water is changed for legionaries...

If not then why bother with an expensive pump ? just shove a cheap one in and pop a pir in to control it..pump only turns on when pir activates. You could add a timer to run the pump say every 6 hours to flush the loop.

But the big question is why...is that bathroom so far away that it is cooling the rest of the system ? What are you saving ? Is it worth the expense ?

3. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

Picking up on a point that Notnowvicar made, why not just get the Wilo Star-Z Nova T pump as it has a programmable timer built in? You can select the times you want it to run day to day, and override it when you have guests.

4. Competent Person

Sure the bathroom (ensuite) is only for guests staying. There may be days or even weeks when it's not used. So I need the disinfection and temp cycles. But I don't need a timer. The PIR would be placed in that bedroom so it's circulating ready for use when there is occupancy, but not when it's sitting empty. Except for the disinfection cycle.

5. Competent Person

just shove a cheap one in and pop a pir in to control it..pump only turns on when pir activates. You could add a timer to run the pump say every 6 hours to flush the loop.

Sounds like a good option

is that bathroom so far away that it is cooling the rest of the system

Yep 35 metres from the cylinder.

6. Competent Person

Wilo Star-Z Nova T pump as it has a programmable timer built in

I do like that and I'd buy one tonight except I am not sure I can add a PIR.

7. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

You couldn’t add a PIR to the power supply of the version with the built-in timer as it needs a permanent live to keep the settings. The basic version, being only 3 or 4 watts, I would imagine would cope with an intermittent power supply, but you’d lose some of the standard functions. I’d speak to the technical department of the manufacturers for a definitive answer.

Competent Person likes this.