Can I break up my old concrete slabs to use as hardcore?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Glen Dronach, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Glen Dronach

Glen Dronach New Member

Wanting to save money on disposal and hardcore would breaking up my old concrete paving slabs work? Or should I just bite the bullet?

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Fine if yo break them up small enough. ALternatively, you might be able to sell them (ebay, collection only!).

3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Best of luck with that. I try to give away anything at the end of a job rather than waste it. Spare slabs, old slabs. Very rarely can you give anything as heavy as that away. I even had 2 tonne of Type 1 left over on a job. Stuck it on a load of Facebook community groups. Nobody wants it. Too heavy for most DIY people to collect and tradesmen are pricing their materials into the job and getting them delivered.

Pallets however you only have to turn your back and someone has swiped them off the driveway.

Use it if you can.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ask the blokes at your local allotments if they’d have a use for them for any shed bases or use as borders for their plots. They would be ok to go as a base underneath your hardcore if you break them up small enough.