Can I cut this off?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Garak112, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Garak112

Garak112 Member

553A4E56-92C8-4D3B-9629-463467A9E9DE.jpeg

Originally there was a block wall here but as part of our side extension the wall was moved back to create a hallway to new rooms.

I want to cut this flush to the floor and then run a half round trim along the length of the base rail to give it a nice finish.

Is this holding the tread in at all or is it OK to cut?

2. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

probably would be best to have a better overview of the surrounding walls, how the staircase is linked in to the rest of the floor and wall and overall structure...

3. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Can you show us the underside of that top step? Is the string attached to the wall further down?

4. Garak112

Garak112 Member

5. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

If it were mine, I'd be happy to cut it off. I might anticipate having to fix that top step back down to the string if it decides to pop up, but as it is, it looks pretty awful. Trim the string off flush to the top tread, and come back to us if there's a problem.
    If you don't feel that bold, trim it off to the height of the top of your balustrade channel moulding.

Garak112 likes this.
  6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if its hooked over the joist just under the top tread there may be little supporting it??

7. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

True, but the string ought to be fixed to the wall under that top step, and the vertical load of the staircase and users goes to the floor below.....

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i would personally be happier with say 44mm [2x1] thick line along the top tread and neaten to that that will give you around 66mm hook iff you include tread thickness
    but then what do you do with the string cap to take the spindles and handrail assuming one is being fitted ??
    without the hook any slack in the system can turn into the string dropping open side until everything tightens up ??