Can I drive?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by MGW, Mar 15, 2021.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Just turned 70 and so licence needs renewing, no passport and old licence paper so when using the on line service I got another form asking for some one who has known me for 3 years or more to sign a photo to say it is me, but only lived here 2 years, so to get it signed need to drive 100 miles to where I did live, and due to Colvid19 and wife and I being ill we are considered as extremely vulnerable so should not leave the house, but nearest hospital is 25 miles, so for non emergency visits we really do need a car.

The on line thing said the 21 days to return the form has been extended to 90 days, but what it does not say is if I can drive on my UK licence in the mean time.

I have another British licence (Falklands) but would need to get insurance altered to use it. So can I drive to doctors? no taxi in the town, and near impossible to use bus, and hill rather steep from doctors back to my house, only 1/2 mile but up hill for 1/2 mile, getting to doctors no problem, on my bike down hill, but return is another matter.

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

You could post it to someone to get it signed and have them post it back, couldn't you?
    Regards,
    Cando

Astramax and Severntrent like this.
  3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Its only paperwork, if you live in Nottingham I'll pop round and sign it,I,m sure I met you in a pub 3 years ago

Emma BraveFish and Astramax like this.
  4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I now live in mid Wales, little town called Llanfair Caereinion which is the home of the Llanfair Welshpool light railway. Our trains still steam powered with a maximum speed of 15 MPH. I am sure some one at the railway will sign it, but it's not running at moment and I am self isolating, and would like to continue doing that until second injection.

I am told I can pay £21.50 and get it done at the Post Office, but that means going into a Post Office, even the Post Box is a fair walk, and still need to go to Post Office for stamps, so does not help.

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Well-Known Member

Is there not the facility to provide a link to your passport and the image there?

6. Severntrent

Logic says that if they have said you have 21 days to return the form (presumably from the end date of your current licence which remains in force till the new one is issued) then the 90 days acts in the same manner and the 21 days grace is increased to 90 days grace, a bit like when they extended the length of MOTs by 6 months, you could always check with your car insurance who will tell you whether you have a valid licence or not for them to be deemed to be insuring you.

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Below from UK GOVT site.

you can continue to drive while you wait for DVLA to send you a new one. Take a photo copy of the application and keep it with you in lieu of the licence while you wait.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf

I am over 70 years old and have sent my licence to the DVLA to renew my entitlement to drive. Can I carry on driving while my form is with you?
    As soon as the DVLA receives your correct and complete application for a new licence and as long as you meet all the Section 88 criteria you may drive. If you are unsure about whether you meet
    the medical criteria for driving, you can check your condition(s) in the ‘Assessing fitness to drive’ guide for healthcare professionals, which can be found at www.gov.uk/dvla/fitnesstodrive or ask your doctor for advice. As this guide is intended for healthcare professionals, it can be complicated. Your doctor should be able to help you if necessary.

MGW likes this.
  8. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

hes put no passport

Severntrent likes this.
  9. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

you could go to your doctors to get it signed or local police station .You would need proof of id bus pass or something and bill in your name with address on it.Also on the gov site it only says you need a passport etc if you want to change your photo.dont change it

10. Severntrent

Hes not changing his photo cos its a paper driving license? which brings up the question if he has lived at this address for only 2 years why did he not renewed his licence due to change of address 2 years ago and been issued with a photo license.

11. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

Good question as its a legal requirement to inform of change of details.It could make his licence invalid for the last 2 years and he has been driving illegally

12. Halfaudio

Halfaudio Active Member

You can order stamps online from eBay I don't see how this is a problem with the post office, since it is a low populated town/village.
    I don't mean to sound the wrong way , but I would be careful of signing something for someone.

13. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

How about a 'phone call the the DVLA (or whatever it's called these days?) to discuss the situation with them. I did that recently and they were very helpful.

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Regarding changing address, did you update your log book too? Lots of people get caught with fines, parking tickets etc going to an old address, they get your registered address from the car reg and DVLA.

As an aside, I thought all paper licences had expired years ago and you had to have a plastic one by now

15. Severntrent

Hope not otherwise I'm goosed

16. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I'm on paper too: confused the hell out of the post office a couple of years ago when I had to get a driving permit for Portugal (classes are different!!)

17. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I still own the old house, and when Colvid19 started I was still in process of moving, moved most things to new address, but knew licence would need renewing so that was left to last, and it was when I tried to update address it said it wanted updating to photo type so letter sent to new address, so since letter sent to new address DVLA are aware I have moved. Although I don't have a licence with new address.

DVLA it seems likely to go on strike over Colvid19 and have very few people still working, so phone calls are useless, battery went flat in phone before I could talk to anyone.

I think my Falklands licence would likely cover me anyway, but this is the problem, I am not sure if I can drive or not, having been in hospital for a respiratory problem, I do not want to visit any shop, as soon as well enough to walk down, or more to point back up, I will go to post office and try renewing there.

18. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Well it says on @quasar9 link if "DVLA has received your correct and complete application within the last 12 months." I can drive, well clearly they got the first application as they sent me a form to fill in and include a picture, now that all signed and sent in, so they should have received that by now, however no way to check if second application has been received, so seems likely I can drive, but still unknown.

I read
    So what I need is before the year is out a driverless car then I will not need a licence?

19. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I suspect the driverless cars will still need a driver to take control if the system fails for the time being till there are sufficient numbers of them on the road and their behaviour in all situations is well understood. That may take a decade. Till then hang on to your licence.

20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

When you send documents to the DVLA make a copy of them, the DVLA have a habit of misplacing things and not allowing you to have all of the categories on the new license. I have to go through this next year, not looking forward to it.