can i freeze pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by scrimp, Nov 25, 2003.

1. scrimp

scrimp New Member

i would like to add another radiator to my system have one in bathroom and i would like one on the same wall in other room,the pipe work i plan to tee off from bathroom rad through wall to other rad not much to do so could i freeze pipes rather than draining down?

2. RH

RH New Member

yep, but don't add a rad that's too big as it's not connected to the main loop.

3. marc

marc New Member

the truoble with freezeing kits paticually the cheap spray kits is you do not have long before it defrosts so you will have to work fast to run pipe to the new radiator,you could freeze it the put an isolator on the run so as to give you time.sometimes the cheap freeze kits dont work and you end up in a mess.Personally i would drain the system.

4. plumb

plumb New Member

You could use a rad valve change kit,if you cap off the open vent and fit the bung in the outlet in the tank then you could do the job without draining down or freezing the pipes,it works on vacuum and you will only lose about a pint of water then you can take as long as you like.read the instructions carefully and remember that you can only do one pipe at a time.

5. GJC

GJC New Member

Drain it down and take you own sweet time! Those bungs are drama, even BG stopped using them!

marc,

ISO ain't really suitable for dch use.

GJ

6. marc

marc New Member

no iso is a temporary incase freeze melts,you open the iso slowly to see if its melted,i didnt explain it well and i was trying to think in diyer terms lol,drain c h is best,freezer units are naff unless you buy the real deal and they are a bit expensive for diy use only