Can I glue toilet to vinyl floor?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by VickyL, Jul 27, 2021.

1. VickyL

VickyL Member

I am in the middle of fitting back to wall toilet and vanity unit and the instruction says to use L bracket to secure the toilet to floor which has underfloor heating and was tiled over. We recently screed the floor and laid sheet vinyl over the tile.

Can I use silicon or any other adhesive to fix the toilet to floor to avoid drilling into UFH?

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

yes - silicone should hold it in place

VickyL and Thesecondfavourite like this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'd try with polymer / hybrid as better stick than silicone.
    Ob1 or CT1 type

VickyL likes this.
  4. BillyT

BillyT Member

You do realise that underfloor heating shouldn't be fitter under the toilet.

just pumps and VickyL like this.
  5. Bit late for that now lol.

If it’s a close coupled cistern make sure cistern is well secured to wall, and close coupling kit is nice and tight, then silicone round pan.
    If it’s a back to wall pan with concealed cistern, silicone around floor as well as up the sides and along the top where it pushes back to wall.

when u silicone it, cut nozzle at an angle, then apply silicone ensuring no gaps, then spray with soapy water before tooling off.

VickyL likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you say ‘sheet vinyl’ - is this loose laid and maybe just glued / taped at edges or bonded across total floor/vinyl surface ?

Just wondering if your planning on sitting toilet on the vinyl and silicone in place or cutting vinyl around toilet and fixing loo to the screed ?

VickyL and Deleted member 246321 like this.
  7. Good point, if siliconing onto the vinyl(normally the best way), then the vinyl needs to be well glued down.

VickyL likes this.
  8. VickyL

VickyL Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

There was a tiny closed couple toilet with no UFH underneath. We didn't think of UFH durning the planning stage and fitted a WC unit with a normal size toilet which now sits much further out.

The sheet vinyl area is very small (1.5m x 1.3m) and indeed loose laid and taped around the edge which is also sealed with silicon where it meets tiles.

Is it still alright to glue with adhesive? if not, what are my options now?

9. Might still be fine. Obviously if u are glueing it to something that Isn’t then glued down to the floor then that has the potential to move.