Can I legally install this extractor fan above my shower/bath?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by powerbook, Sep 7, 2008.

1. powerbook

powerbook New Member

Hi

I've found this 230V fan n the web which looks good: http://www.epicair.co.uk/100mm-discreet-silent-wallceiling-fan-with-timer-p-70.html

The notes say "IP24 rated,the SR100TRRR/DECCDIS125 fan can be installed in a wall position in Zones 1,2 and 3 or ‘outer zones’ of the ‘wet’ room area."

I wanted to install in the ceiling above the bath/shower which is 2.85m above floor level. There is a fan already there (knackered), which I am replacing and it's on a 30ma RCD.

Thanks for your help!

2. -gazsparks-

-gazsparks- New Member

Hi, if you`re just replacing a fan that was already there I can`t see a problem with that mate.

3. powerbook

powerbook New Member

hi
    cheers for the reply.
    the reason i ask is lots of the kitchen wiring was found to be dodgy. and i wanna be sure before i buy any new kit!
    anyone know if the IP ratings on the fan (on the weblink) are ok for above a shower/bath?

4. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

anyone know if the IP ratings on the fan (on the weblink) are ok for above a shower/bath

ip24, protected against splashing water, so ok for a bath but not so good if there's a de-mountable shower head I would say?

5. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

anyone know if the IP ratings on the fan (on the weblink) are ok for above a shower/bath?

ip24, protected against splashing water, so ok for a bath but not if there's a de-mountable shower head I would say?

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Sorry for the duplicate everyone, it didn't go through first time then went twice!

7. wally2

wally2 New Member

I its IPX4, in any case i its going on the ceiling & as you say 2.85m it will be in zone 2 anyway, no control switches except the cords on pulls.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Quote: "If its IPX4, in any case i its going on the ceiling & as you say 2.85m it will be in zone 2 anyway, no control switches except the cords on pulls. "

I thought it had to be at least IPX5(the 5 being 'Limited ingress when sprayed by low-pressure water jets) !!!

Mr. Handyandy - really

9. wally2

wally2 New Member

I think i would be a bit worried about my decor andy if jets of water hit the ceiling

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Quote: "I think i would be a bit worried about my decor andy if jets of water hit the ceiling "

So you would be worried about you decor if the shower head shot water(a jet of water) at it, but NOT worried about your electrical fitment that is NOT IP rated to resist a jet of water ???

Is it me ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

11. -gazsparks-

-gazsparks- New Member

look at the design of the fan!! considering its gonna be ceiling mounted at almost 3m high, if any water hits it is it really gonna do much harm?? No way, and with IPX4 and on an rcd then theres no probs!

12. poheZ

poheZ New Member

Mr. Handyandy - really

Or you could put you thumb on the cold water tap and squirt a jet of water up at a light fitting!

13. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

squirt a jet of water up at a light fitting!

Do you think some kids haven't already tried that?!