Can I paint patio slabs?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by biggles, Nov 22, 2003.

1. biggles

biggles New Member

Hi all

My patio is looking a bit past it now, and I cannot lay a new patio as I am unable to kneel now. Can anyone suggest what may be ok to paint the paving slabs. I have seen it done on one of the "makeover" programs on tv some years ago.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Pete

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi Biggles

Before painting have you thought about high pressure water jet cleaning? If you can beg/borrow/buy a high pressure water jet machine it will definitely be worthwhile. They bring up the surface like new. The problem with "painting" (as you probably know anyway) is it will eventually wear off leaving them looking worse than before. Try the jet wash first....

3. pachyderm

pachyderm New Member

.....high pressure water jet machine

Subtle promotion here what? SF have a special clearance off on quote 25307.

4. kesh

kesh New Member

Be careful with the pressure washer with the jet set to a needle, I've seen it take surface off of patio slabs. Use a medium jet, detergent & scrub with a stiff broom for the more difficult bits. Also I've taken the paint from the hub-caps on my car & even cut my thumb with the needle jet!!!

5. biggles

biggles New Member

Hi, thanks for the interest shown.
    Sorry I forgot to say that I had tried the jetwash idea.
    They looked cleaner, but I fear I may have taken the top surface away.(Trying to get "spotted" areas clean.)
    I guessed that paint would eventually wear off, but thought that if traffic wasn't too heavy it might of lasted perhaps a couple of years.
    Do any of you know someone that has painted slabs?
    I saw in B&Q that International Quick Drying Floor Paint stated that it was ok for patios, but when I sent them an email their reply was that it wasn't recommended because it didn't have anti slip properties.
    My slabs are quite course so I don't know if that would be a problem.
    Any more ideas on that?

Cheers

biggles

6. wizard

wizard Guest

Hi ya Biggles, what ive done in the past is used a clear paving sealer and coloured it with the powder used to colour cement. Knock it up in a bucket and apply with a roller. It lasts about 18 months before it needs doing again.
    Ps keep stirring it in the bucket as the powder tends to sink to the bottom.

7. biggles

biggles New Member

Thanks for the idea wizard.

That is one possible solution I hadn't even thought of.
    Sounds a good way out of my problem perhaps.
    I will have to give it a bit of a look at.

Thanks again

biggles

8. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Hey wizard that is a prima idea - I like that ...a lot!

9. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

....another way is set your easel up in the garden and use a ruler to draw nice straight lines and your bestist colouring set and first sketch the slabs and then colour them in. You can let your imagination loose and say paint one yellow and one green and one even with a picture of Pooh Bear on

:)

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

yeah..then get out the water jet and wash it off and start again...

11. out of africa

out of africa New Member

Pressure washing the surface is the minimum surface preparation you must do before painting your floor slab.

If the slab is exposed to weather, use a paint that is moisture vapour permeable.

Thin the first coat to aid penetration into the substrate.

You can make any paint more slip resistant by adding plastersand to it, dry plastersand. It gives a nice texture and hides any damage to the surface. Incidently it also improves the wear resistance. Remember to stir regularly to ensure even distribution of the aggregate.

Apply at least three coats. The paint should last for years.

12. out of africa

out of africa New Member

Congratulations Wizard. You have been true to your name. You have made basic paint.

13. biggles

biggles New Member

Thanks for your reply out of africa.

Your solution seems fine to me, but could you clarify what you mean by a paint that is moisture vapour permeable.
    Do you mean something similar to "Ranch Paint" type paint?
    Any help you could give me would be most appreciated, especially if you could point me to a suitable brand name and type.
    Many thanks

biggles

14. out of africa

out of africa New Member

Moisture vapour permeability is the ability of a material to allow moisture in its vapour form (gas) to pass thru.

Your patio slabs will absorb moisture from the ground. When the sun shines on the painted surface it will try evaporate the water. If the paint is not moisture vapour permeable and has low adhesion, osmotic blisters may form. Basically the water vapour lifts the paint of the substrate. Your paint won't last.

I am not familiar with "Ranch Paint".

Masonry paint such as Screwfix D16491-72 is moisture vapour permeable. It also has a low film forming temperature (dry at temp below 0 deg C) which normally also indicate good flexibility and slight tackiness; good anti slip properties.

I have not used this product and therefore can only speculate based on the wording in the Screwfix catalogue. One other problem, I think it is white in colour.

Check with Screwfix whether their anti-slip floor paint (D17904-72) is also suitable for outside use.

15. biggles

biggles New Member

Thanks once more out of africa.

I will endeavour to find out more about these paints and their availability very soon.
    I should have a fair bit of time to do this as the ideal time to paint it would be early summer I should think.
    Thank you again, and thanks to all the other sensible replies to my problem.

biggles

16. biggles

biggles New Member

Just one more query for you,out of africa,if you are still about.
    On re-reading your reply, It sounds as though you feel that masonary paint may be ok for the job. Is this what you meant? Would it be reasonably hard wearing?
    Were you thinking along the lines of some of the Sandtex range. (Some of which are moisture vapour permeable.)
    If so that would probably enable you to get quite a range of colours. I have found out that International quick drying floor paint is moisture vapour permeable, combined with some anti slip qualities, but the colour range is very limited.
    Thanks in advance.

biggles

17. out of africa

out of africa New Member

The masonry paint I manufacture certainly is suitable; it has been applied to patio slab subject to medium traffic (office area). No coarse aggregate was added (plastersand). No deteriation after 3 years.

Choose the masonry paint which are moisture vapour permeable with a 10-15 year lifespan/guarantee. Adding the plaster sand will improve the wearing and anti-slip properties. Choose a dark colour; light colours show dirt pick up faster. Remember to stirr (15605) the paint to prevent settlement of the sand. Use dry plastersand. Wet sand might thin the paint too much.

18. biggles

biggles New Member

Well, out of africa, In my eyes you are a star!!
    I figured that somehow you were involved in the technical side of paint. Considering how helpful you have been to us all, would it be in order for you to disclose the name of the paint that you manufacture? You have not tried to advertise yourself, but with you being able to give technical advice and help to this forum, I feel that your product could do with a little publicity.
    You and the other contributors have been of great help to me, and for that I thank you all.

biggles

19. out of africa

out of africa New Member

Advertising is not allowed on this forum; unless it is for Screwfix. Anyway my name indicate why it would be pointless to advertise.

20. grannynumerome

grannynumerome New Member

Hi Biggles, just read your forum on patio paint. Did you find any good paint? I would be grateful if you could help me as I need help with my discoloured patio. Thanks in advance.
    Granny