Can I plaster over old wooden window frames

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Paul Trivett, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Paul Trivett

Paul Trivett New Member

I live in a 2bed mid terraced house that has wooden window frames around the UPVC windows.

I have mostly removed the front part from the bedroom windows. For extra strength and solidness, I want to plaster over where it used to be and the side part that is connected to the window itself is wood, right up to the UPVC itself.

Two windows still have the front part attached though, but if that can be covered over, then great.

Basically I want to hide all traces of how the windows used to look.

How can this be done?

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Cut them out, dab new plasterboard each side and skim, you won't plaster over the side adequately and it'll probably crack forever and a day.

3. Paul Trivett

Paul Trivett New Member

When you say "It'll crack forever and a day", do you mean that'll happen if I don't put on the plasterboard?

Also, if I put PB on, wouldn't that mean, I'd have to attach PB to the rest of the walls in each room, otherwise it'll be uneven.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'm saying if you try to plaster over the timber lining that's currently there then it will crack eventually or fall off, and that you could dot and dab plasterboard into the reveals once you've ripped the timbers out (you could fix plasterboard over the timber but it will narrow the amount of window frame showing and probably throw off the margins) and skim over them to give a neat finish. You just bring the plasterboard out to meet the wall level and fill the edge solid with the drywall adhesive.

5. Paul Trivett

Paul Trivett New Member

Right ok, thanks