Can I purchase an electric hob which plugs into a 13 amp socket.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Glenbeau, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

I want to replace a gas hob and single gas oven with a single electric oven and electric hob. I don't seem to have a dedicated supply for the new cooker and hob. Is it possible for me to plug in either the cooker or the hob (or both) into 13 amp plugs which are not being used inside my kitchen units

2. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Single oven yes. Most are under 3 kW (approx rating for a 13A plug)

4 ring hob, probably not; unless it's a 2 ring 'domino hob' pulling less than 3 kW.

mad4kitchens likes this.
  3. mr reflex

mr reflex Member

For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever..........................
    Given what has been discussed a couple of threads ago THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE WINDUP OF THE CENTURY!!!!!! Come on, please put everyone out of their misery and reveal your true identity.................................................

mad4kitchens likes this.
  4. mad4kitchens

mad4kitchens New Member

Oh now that is well funny MrR, can we get Devil's Advocate and Unphased in on this one, Oh please.
    If this post is for real then stateit is absolutely bang on. Horray !!!!!!!! :D

5. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

Thank you, I will just have an electric oven and a gas hob.

6. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

Thank you, I will just have an electric oven and a gas hob. As you can tell I am new to the site, so posted my reply at the bottom of your answer.

7. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

8. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

My true identity as follows: I am a 72 year old lady without any electrical or any DIY knowledge. I am just trying to replace an integrated cooker and hob the best way I can in the home I recently purchased, as they are not fit for purpose. The integrated fridge and freezer was also not working, both doors dropped off when I opened them, and they had not been working for years! I promise you it is not a wind up.

9. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

10. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

It is for real! I am too tired to wind you all up, hence the late working hours, not enough hours in the day. Perhaps I am in the wrong section, and should be a qualified electrician, but then I would not need to ask the question.

11. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Glenbeau,

You can get an electric Induction Hob that has the facility to plug into a 13 amp socket. Siemens do one, and I have fitted a few of them.

Obviously, having a lower power rating, it is not as quick as a normal Induction hob, but it works fine.

Hope this helps !

Snezza.

mad4kitchens likes this.
  12. You can wire any electrical hob into a 13A plug.

Provided you re-wire the internals to provide a separate 13A supply to each individual plate. :p

13. snezza30

snezza30 Member

mad4kitchens likes this.
  14. Walter System

Walter System Member

Why? Stick to gas. It is cheaper to run by far. My next oven is going to be gas - I have a gas hob. I do not have an electric kettle, using a trendy chrome kettle that sits on the gas hob. Much cheaper to heat boiling water. The less electricity I use the better as it is very expensive compared to gas. I always advise people to fit a gas tumble dryer where they can. They are far cheaper to run and very simple inside. I have seen a few second hand on Ebay.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

:). Whilst it has been established in recent posts that a single oven can be connected to a circuit by means of a plug and socket, it is recommended in Appendix 15, and regulation 433.1, that loads exceeding 2kW for long periods should not be connected to a ring final circuit. Now whether you could argue that, with diversity, a single oven would not produce a load above 2kW for long periods I would leave that to your own judgement. But, it does recommend that cookers, ovens and hobs with a rated power exceeding 2kW be on their own dedicated radial circuit. This would suggest to me that the provision of a plug on a single oven does not in itself permit its use on a ring circuit, though most people would not even think about this. Why would they? If its got a plug on it then it can be plugged in anywhere. Personally I am in agreement that a single oven with manufacturers instructions to fit a plug is ok to be used in any socket but it does not strictly comply with the recommendations in BS7671.

So the OPs original question asked if TWO items (ie a cooker and a hob) could be used to replace gas appliances. This would not be wise. It would be better to install a dedicated standard circuit to serve new electrical hob and oven. Or replace gas appliances with new gas appliances (in my opinion a better solution) rather than put in the new electrical appliances for which there is no proper provision.

16. mad4kitchens

mad4kitchens New Member

Nice bit of info Snezza !!! :D:D:D Thanks

17. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I got caught out with this before there are 4 ring hobs designed to run on 13, 16, or 32A and can be configured for the supply. Sorry can't remember make, but I made a statement that you could not get 4 ring hobs to work on 13A, and had to retract. Got a feeling Siemens but can't be sure. For a dedicated kitchen ring, yes I would do it, but for a general ring my personal feeling is the 2kW rule would not allow it. As to sockets in a cupboard that's a no for anything with 13A fuse. All fuses make heat and so need cooling so 13A plugs should be in free air. Using a FCU these are better able to dissipate the heat into the wall so can be inside a cupboard as long as there is assess to switch off in an emergency.

18. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

19. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member

Thank you, I will check out that type of hob. It will probably suit me as I don't do much cooking now, just heating up foods, rather than cooking from scratch.

20. Glenbeau

Glenbeau New Member