Can I regrout over existing grout

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by C J ord, Nov 11, 2018.

1. C J ord

C J ord Member

Hello,
    I have just had my bathroom done 2 days ago by a professional tiler. When he has finished the grouting it looks like he has washed too much grout out of the joints.

Will it be OK to go back over it with fresh grout.

The grout is a good quality flexible grout and the tiles are rectified porcelain.

Thanks for any help

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Unlikely there will be sufficient depth and you will wash off what you put on. Try a small area and see.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The 'professional' tiler really should have noticed the lack of grout whilst he was doing the job.
    But it is what it is.
    How far down has the grout been washed out by?
    A few pics might help.

4. C J ord

C J ord Member

Cheers for the reply lads.

Its about 1mm washed out longboat. Will the new grout bond ok to existing grout.

Sorry I am not tech savvy enough to get pictures. My boy might help.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  5. Russel

Russel New Member

I have tried this before when doing re grouting jobs. Doesent work that well and some of it will definitely flake off.
    A fairly easy thing to do is wet the grout with a sponge and try get it as soft as possible with water. Then use a Stanley blade to cut a v shape into the grout lines. (much easier than multimaster if grout is soft enough)
    This seems to give a footing for the grout to hold better.

6. C J ord

C J ord Member

Thank you for your advice.