Can I store laminate worktop leaning against a wall for a few months?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Chewy, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Title says it all really... I don't have a lot of space so need to store four lengths of 2.m 28mm laminate worktop leaning against an inside wall. I know they should really be stored flat but it would make life easier to keep them out of the way for a while. That's stored with the long side against the wall, not the short btw...

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Wrap them up together using packaging wrap or something to help prevent any bending , could even brace with some 2x4 for added stiffness

3. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Depends where you are storing them???

'An inside wall'............. of a house, or an outbuilding, for instance?????

Bowing occurs if they get damp and the wood expands, but the laminate cannot. If covered over and kept dry and supported (even by each other and a straight wall and floor) they should be fine.

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Seal them up with plastic cling film to keep moisture ingress to minimum. If you do this on a dry day it will protect it to a degree

5. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

..... and put down some short wooden battens to keep them off the actual floor. One at each end plus one in the middle. And store them with the postformed (i.e. finished) edge pointing upwards.

6. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks for the replies! The worktops are resting on carpet along an internal wall at the moment so should be alright for a bit I hope. I'll see if I can lay them flat as soon as I can, supported by battens.

Cheers again.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Will they fit under a bed perhaps?