Can I supply an EIC for an installation I have had nothing to do with ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lokkars Daisy, Apr 26, 2012.

  1. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    Well yes I can according to the NICEIC
  2. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    I suppose you can, just as long as you actually inspect it. ;)
  3. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    You wouldn't understand JJ x
  4. sinewave

    sinewave Screwfix Select

    Still got some pound notes somewhere, not a lot of use nowadays though!
  5. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    No NO NO a definite NO NO say the NICEIC silly farm,,,Unless you have supervised or been present during significant stages during the installation then the NICEIC take a very serious view if any of thier members issue an EIC for work not as above
  6. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    Yes that's correct Our Lady by the zebra crossing, so why do you ask the question ?
  7. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    If anyone is at all interested in providing EICs  at a tidy sum for installations wired by diy'rs , legitimately , speak up
  8. stateit

    stateit Well-Known Member

    I'm going through this one at the moment: Someone selling their house, need to get unnotified work a 'completion cert' for conveyencing solicitor.

    NAPIT say no I can't EIC it - I didn't see the install.

    LABC say the customer can apply for a Retrospective Building Works notification. Then I can do an 'Enhanced' EICR which could include pulling the floor up and hacking into plaster work to inspect the cabling and runs. Then if/when it's OK they'll do a Works Completion Cert.

    Customer is deciding if it'll be cheaper to get indemnity insurance or get me to do the Enhanced EICR. For the faff of it I hope they get the insurance.
  9. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    Chatting with a pal last week, he is also NICEI approved contractor, I asked him to confirm what he had told me last year. He had been involved in several consumer unit changes.
    NICEIC help line had told him he must issue an EIC for the WHOLE INSTALLATION , he could hardly believe they were telling him to issue an EIC for work he had nothing to do with
    Thinking he had spoken to some numpty he rang again the next day, in fact he rang three times and even had his wife call  :) and each time was told he must issue an EIC

    So state it, assuming you have replaced the consumer unit in the house you have to test ( and I don't suppose it matters whether you have or not) then the NICEIC insist that you issue an EIC , put limitations on it if you want, nevertheless it's an EIC you will be issuing and all will be happy.
  10. wally

    wally Screwfix Select

    You always need to issue an EIC for a C/U change as you do for many other jobs, ive been doing it for years.  All you have to do is clearly state what the EIC has been issued for in details of installation coverd. ie (this refers only to a consumer unit change & to carry out limited tests on all existing reconnected circuits).     You would (should) fill in all the test results on the last page.     Any other  details required for existing circuits I would put N/A as you did not install them.    This is not the same as issueing an EIC for someone elses work, to do so would be madness in my opinion.
  11. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    Yes Wally issue one for new circuits or new parts of existing circuits, but they are asking for an EIC to be issued for all of the existing installation supplied by the new consumer unit.
    Now as I recall there is no provision , on an EIC, no box for the entering of limitations.
    I dunno but I have always considered an EIC cut and dry , New work carried out , new work tested EIC issued
    Seems to me that we are now expected to use an EIC in a similar way to a PIR

    Anyhow Wally if they are being issued with limitations then there is no reason why stateit shouldn't issue one with limitations also   , , , changed days
  12. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Whats an EIC LD?
  13. R.Slicker

    R.Slicker New Member

  14. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Oh right - many thanks Mr Slicker
  15. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    What tests have to be carried out for the form? Are Robins acceptable?
  16. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Can a Diyer fill out one of those forms and submit it to BC or whatever?
  17. proper spark

    proper spark Guest

    No because he wouldnt have a clue what any of it ment or how to do the tests. Most electricians dont know either. Not sure if thats just a sample hes shown or another cert filled in incorrectly
  18. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Cheers PP. It often amazes me when I take reading wit me Robins - I look at the reading and think - what the heck is that all about? and I then just stick it back in the cardboard box and stuff it under the kitchen cab -  and carry on with the electrical deploy..
  19. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

       **** you made me laugh there JP
  20. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

Share This Page