Can I temporarily insulate a conservatory roof?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tonynoarm, Nov 12, 2006.

1. bjp11scot

bjp11scot New Member

DA
    I was just thinking
    Should I create an access hatch?
    To enable maintenance and/or to assist in fitting insulation etc etc maybe install lighting!!

Regards

2. I wouldn't. Too much hassle, looks ugly, and hard to get it the same insulation value as the rest of the ceiling (say, around the framework.)

The insulation will be in place before you board over, so that's not an issue.

If your outer roof needs maintenance, then you'll access that from outside too - the glazing bars lift off form the outside, don't they?

If you think you'll want a ceiling light, run the cable now, and mark exactly where you can access it through the ceiling if needed in the future. (Of course, don't yet connect the other end!)

But, your call :)

3. bjp11scot

bjp11scot New Member

OK DA
    Let me think about it and will see how I progress
    Timber arriving Monday
    Bob

4. OhhhhMaaaaGaaawwwdddd- he's actually going to do it! :eek:

5. bjp11scot

bjp11scot New Member

DA
    Looking ahead
    What type of insulation would you place above the Thermaline 27 Plus Laminate Board?
    Regards

6. For ease of fitting, I would personally keep it all 'rigid'. Stuff Like Celotex/ Kingspan.

You want the easiest and 'best' job? In which case fit this in complete sections on the under-surface of the joists rather than cut them to fit in between the joists. This could be fairly thin stuff - 25mm - since the Laminate Board you plan to use will also give very good insulation. Wanna save money? You could even use Jablite for this, as your Laminate Board will provide the bulk of the insulating. But, your choice.

Or, staple some kind of sheet to the undersides and shove 'loft' insulation over it, sitting in between the joists.

(Try not to block where the roof panels sit on the wall frame - if there's a wee leaky air gap there, you want it to stay. Or are you planning to drill some more vent holes?)

Obviously, if you plan to add further insulation sheets to the underside, allow for the reduced headroom by building your joists higher :)

7. bjp11scot

bjp11scot New Member

Da
    I am gonna fix Thermaline 27 Plus Laminate Board to the underside of the 4x2 joists (the Laminated Thermaline is 27mm thick - I have based my calculations on this thickness
    I was considering using 270mm loft insulation in between the joist and on the topside of the Laminated Thermoline 27
    I will be drilling ventilation holes in the space between the between the wallplate and the sloping insulation board

8. Yeah yeah yeah - I know what you mean by 'underside' :rolleyes:. :p

If you want to go 'soft loft insulation' (which is absolutely fine), then you'll need a way of keeping it there while you're screwing up your boarding. That's why I suggested stapling some sheet material to the underside - you could use polythene, or netting, or even some gaffa-tape (actually, that gaff-tape idea is nifty! Just run it in strips around a foot, foot and a half apart, pressing it tightly against the timber so it sticks well, and that will probably be enough to stop the insulation falling out. Or, add some drawing pins to make sure!) Then position all the loft insulation in place in one go before moving on to the boarding.

I wouldn't recommend trying to fit a Laminate piece at a time and then trying to position loft insulation over that pieace before moving on - just too much hassle.)

Cool - loft insulation it is :D

9. bjp11scot

bjp11scot New Member

OK all noted - and thanks
    Timber arrived - so here we go !!!!!!!

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I'm sure everyone will know this but ........

that horrid white plastic UPVC cladding is available in a number of other finishes, such as mock wood effect, which is slightly less horrid than the dull plain white

11. bjp11scot

bjp11scot New Member

Nothing like going GLOBAL when you make a major c**k up eh?:)

12. You mean for potentially lining the ceiling, Sean?

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

aye, as an alternative to this

[​IMG]

14. Hmm, a nice warm oak would be rather nifty... :)

15. bjp11scot

bjp11scot New Member

DA
    Just a thought
    I have permanently tied in my cross joists to the vertical batons
    Do you reckon expansion is an issue?
    That is wood = relatively no expansion while I expect there will be within the conservatory frame

16. No. Not a prob. Stop looking for excuses. Go back to work :p

Everything moves a wee bit. That's normal. In fact I'm gently moved by this thread...

17. bjp11scot

bjp11scot New Member

18. Dan.Rochford

Dan.Rochford New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm after some advice and looks like I'm in the right place.

Having just moved into a new property with a wooden/brick conservatory I noticed the ex owner had tried to some way insulate the ceiling in said conservatory. I'm guessing his intention was to plaster over as he has already installed plaster board fitted to some batons he had installed also.

Basically I'm going to remove all plasterboard then insulate using bubble foil on the polycarbonate roof and maybe some other form of insulation directly behind the t&g cladding. I will try and upload pics but I'm on the iPad ATM
    I'm looking for any advice regarding insulation, air gaps and fixings for the cladding.
    Added pics.......
    Many thanks in advance

Dan.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg