Can I unplug this to add a three way plug?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MrM, Oct 11, 2018.

1. MrM

MrM Member

Yes will do, I did test each MCB yesterday and none were powering the socket, but I didn't turn the main switch off.

What would this mean, it's powered directly from the live bar, and not via a MCB or RCD anywhwere else?

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Yes.

MrM likes this.
  3. MrM

MrM Member

Thank you. I'll take the cover off tonight and look (not poking around in that!) to confirm if I can trace the cable coming in and where it goes.

Is there any legal requirement to get a spark in to remove this and put it on an MCB/RCD, or is this more just to do with regs/best practice for any socket of that kind?

4. spinlondon

No legal requirement to do anything, if you’re just moving the wires to an existing circuit.
    If you were to install a new MCB to make a new circuit, then you might have to notify the Local Council.
    When you move it over to an MCB, you have to make sure you not only move the line conductor but also move the neutral, to the correct neutral bar (assuming you have more than one neutral bar).
    Otherwise the RCD that protects that MCB will trip every time you use the socket.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That is what it could indicate, but it is most unlikely.
    The only thing that it might be is if someone has mixed up the ring connections in the CU. This would mean that the circuit can only be isolated if two MCBs are turned off.

To disprove the "powered directly from the live bar," borrocks, turn off all the MCBs, but leave the Main Switch on. Then test to see if the socket is also off. If it is (it should be) turn on the MCBs one at a time and test each time. Turn that MCB off and test the next one, etc. You may find that two MCBs activate the socket.
    Then you'll need an electrician to sort that out!

6. MrM

MrM Member

Thanks all, will give it a go when I get home. I don't fancy moving any cables myself to be honest, but OK with removing cover and lookig etc. Will update the findings tonight.

TIA

7. spinlondon

Add a photo of the inside if you can.

8. MrM

MrM Member

OK, idiot time.

Took off the cover to inspect, turns out it IS on a MCB. When I was flicking the MCB it was taking a few seconds to reigster at the socket end, and I was being impatient and flicking it on too soon!

Now it all makes sense, I posted here a few months back about a MCB label (before I relabeled them neatly!) called DPC.I was asked if I had a damp proof course, I said no, of course I didn't know I did as it was tucked away under the stairs!

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/d-p-c-labelled-mcb.199809/#post-1606981

So, socket I have there is a feed from a 321 MCB on the board!

Problem solved, what a plonker.

Thanks for all the assistance.