Can I use a Rest Bend as part of toilet waste drainage?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SoulConspiracy, Oct 23, 2017.

1. I want to move my toilet bowl to a different wall in the bathroom, but can't access the outside of the wall directly behind it. My plan is to put a bend behind the toilet and come out of the side wall instead.

I've read that putting 90 degree bends in toilet waste pipes can create problems with blockages. I see you can buy a "rest bend" which is for guttering down pipes, so I was wondering could I use the same piece as a slow 90 degree bend as part of the foul waste pipe?

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Active Member

Toilets often have a 90° (87.5° in real money) on them straight from the pan.

3. Oh right. Is that just one of the regular 90 bends like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-double-socket-bend-87-5-110mm/12960 ?

I also need to then go straight for about 1m 90 degree again then straight for 1m then turn 90 again. Would that be ok too, if there was an access here and there?

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Well-Known Member

You will need to maintain the fall to make this work and dont use the bends you have a link to as they are subterranean and will be affected by UV light use gery or black.

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Active Member

With all those bends I'd have at least one of them with a roding eye.

s-l300.jpg

6. The Teach

The Teach Active Member

Can we see a plan sketch ? how much pipe is below ground ?

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Active Member

I'm assuming its all above ground, if its below ground the bends will need access covers.

W2828_813836_00.jpg

8. The floor level of the bathroom is lower than outside so the pipes basically come out at surface level, no need for access covers, and it will all be in gravel as I'm rtying to resolve a surface water drainage issue at the same time.

The additional run is about 1.7m so I figure I need about an extra 30mm or so height to get the gradient I need. the only way I can do this is buy a new toilet with a higher outlet. I've found one but it's expensive :(

Just as an aside, I'm not insane in wanting to move the toilet am I? It is better in the corner?

TOILET MOVE.jpg

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Much better in the corner ... with it centred on that wall it is an obstruction making corner access difficult and thus space wasted. In teh corner frees up that wall for shelves, towel rail, or just the windowsill. No you are not insane!

10. That's good to know.

I think I might have another problem though with venting... I put in the section in to the kitchen sink (to the right side of this plan), without thought to if it needed venting. Did this about 6 months ago but am noticing drain smells in the bathroom and wondering why and where it's coming from.

I always felt the SVP is too far away from the bathroom. Do I need to consider installing a new SVP somewhere closer? If so, where does it need to go? I saw a webpage about the order that each appliance needs to connect to the soil stack but I didn't really get it.

TBH, I've got so much DIY to do and only about 2 hours per week to action anything that I can plan in my spare moments on weekdays. It's really frustrating.

drainage1.jpg

11. If I put the stack in this corner here, would I need to take it all the way past this highest roof, or just 900mm above the ground floor windows? (ignore the bird box, they will cope).

vent stack.jpg

12. The Teach

The Teach Active Member

From the new wc position the new soil pipe should be the most direct route.This prevents blockages and other nasty problems.

so from your new wc position,pipe through exterior wall,access bend downwards,into rest bend,angle rest bend towards existing manhole chamber ,extend 110 soil pipe and adapt new soil pipe connection to existing wc manhole connection that should satisfy local building control.

;)

13. To get enough fall I've had to find a new toilet with a higher waste outlet. I eventually came across this one on ebay with apparently a 210mm high outlet-
    s-l1600.jpg
    would anyone recognize this as an "old" toilet requiring a greater flush volume. I have to buy a cistern to go with it, the one I've got my eye on has 6 litres, should this be enough?