Can I use Zinsser B.I.N primer on newly plastered wall?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jetblast787, May 31, 2021.

?

Can I use Zinsser B.I.N primer on newly plastered wall?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. jetblast787

jetblast787 New Member

Hi all!

I've just finished plastering a wall with Thistle MultiFinish as the top coat and was wondering whether the Zinsser B.I.N. Primer is suitable as the first coat of paint?

Thanks!

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

The datasheet says BIN is suitable for cured plaster. It would probably seal in any moisture, so for new plaster I would recommend a mist cost of matt emulsion as it will 'breathe'.
    It will be a lot cheaper too.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Why has sealing a bare plaster wall become something akin to ‘rocket science’ these days ?

Straight forward contract matt emulsion -

Thined down with straight forward tap water (could use bottled water if you insist) and you’ve got a Mist Coat

Paint / water ratio will depend on consistency of paint in the tub to start with and user preference - just stir in water to achieve a pourable, single cream consistency , mix well, empty 10kt paint bucket good for this, snap the lid back on and keep any muck out the mix

Not vinyl / Not silk / Not Eggshell / Not a durable washable type

Always works for me, have used Leyland Trade Matt and over coated it with several brands / types of emulsion, never been an issue

Z BIN sure does have its uses but here..... no idea why ?

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hope you've been saving up ££££ if you plan to use BIN for the whole wall!

(... Its not the right thing for this purpose !)

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Mist coat every time

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Mist coat, Albany Supercover is good, thinned down 40%

7. Decorator Dan

Decorator Dan Member

I tend to use ordinary matt emulsion watered down 50/50 when treating fresh plaster. You will get a better finish if the plaster is completely dry & it’s worth the wait. It’s a messy job, but the end result is worth it for good adhesion.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Acrylic primer undercoat following the spec for new plaster. With prime and seal a bit making it easy to use emulsion with any of the known paints on the market

9. BobFossil

BobFossil New Member

Hi all, what about a plaster wall that formerly had wallpaper on it? There is some adhesive remaining on the wall despite a light sanding and good wipe with a wet microfibre cloth.

Have read that water based paint should not be used until all adhesive is gone but also that oil primer can go on it. I have some zinsser bin left over from another job but it’s a shellac/methyl paint. It’s plaster here, very much cured, but thin patches of adhesive in many places.

What do you reckon? Photo of the surface attached.

ta
    A6440352-F0F8-4579-A48A-226A078DAD25.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  10. Decorator Dan

Decorator Dan Member

I would sand some more to get rid of the remaining adhesive. Sorry! Messy dusty job! Then vacuum the wall & surround with the brush attachment, wipe down with a damp microfibre cloth. Then treat as new plaster with a mist coat of ordinary emulsion watered down. I think you will get a better result from the extra prep. Zinsser is a premium product, no mistake, but the extra leg-work of good prep will pay you back later. You can paint the Zinsser on when your mist coat is fully dry if you wish to use it.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can be hard work and time consuming removing all traces of previous paste

Sanding alone doesn’t remove the paste as it gets absorbed by the plaster

Can take multiple wash downs to remove all traces and any areas that you either miss, or some paste remains, then likely this will react with the new coats of emulsion

Water in the emulsion brings the paste back to life and causes it to swell, bubbling up through the paint and looks a real mess (how do I know :eek:)

Another great Zinsser product is ‘Gardz’

A sealer that you brush or roller over the wall, after usual prep, fill any damage, sand down wall, give a wipe over to remove all dust or any remaining paper

It’s a thin, watery sealant with a slightly milky appearance, water based, so totally different to BIN or 123, but one of its used is exactly the above - to seal in paste residue prior to painting over - and like all Zinsser products - it simply works

Well worth a consideration

12. BobFossil

BobFossil New Member

Thanks Dan and Dave for the advice. I think I'll combine the advice, sand again and then try the Zinsser Gardz. What confuses Dave me is if Zinsser G is water based, will it also not reactivate the adhesive and produce bubbles? A friend, retired painter, recommended Zinsser Cover Stain all purpose oil base primer.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Bob
    Only recently gone over to using the Zinsser Gardz as previously like yourself, would thoroughly wash down walls to remove paste

This not only takes several hours (depending on room size), it can also lead to mixed results when you come to emulsion

I’ve decorated rooms where after a couple of wash downs, the paint has gone on fine with no bubbling up from remaining paste residue

Last room I tried this washing method on, literally spent 2 days washing walls, multiple water changes using sugar soap, cloths, sponges, scrapers and large scouring pads - but wall still felt sticky from paste

Allowed to dry and did a test patch and right away, paint started to bubble from underlying paste - I just couldn’t fully remove the stuff

Gardz is designed for this job (and several other uses) just take a look online at the data sheet - and no, it won’t react with the paste

Just need to do usual prep of filling any damage, sand down repairs and complete wall, dust down, give a quick wipe over with damp cloth to remove remaining loose bits

Then, on with the Gardz

It’s just thicker than water so don’t go mad with the roller, goes on slightly shiny but dries matt, then ready for your emulsion

As with all Zinsser products, their highly rated and simply work (not gonna pinch the over used Ronseal tag line) !!

Cover Stain will work also, it’s oil based so won’t react with the paste. But more expensive, gives off heavy dose of fumes when used over total wall surfaces, not easy clean up with water and soap and, it’s more of a stain block but, I guess yes, will do the job

Read up on the Gardz in the meantime

14. BobFossil

BobFossil New Member

Alright, thanks for that, I'll get hold of some ZG and go from there.
    Cheers

15. mr_sauce

mr_sauce New Member

Hi, just jumping in on this. We had a house fire and there is soot on a newly plastered wall. Can I use BIN on this fresh (but cured) plaster?

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes but wash it over first.

mr_sauce likes this.