Can I wire a socket like this?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gerb, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Gerb

Gerb New Member

Hi,
    I want to convert a single socket to a double socket, and want to do it with a one-to-two gang adapter back box for now. The problem with this is that the wires to the back of the socket are too short to reach as they stand. Now I know that the obvious answer is to dig out a hole big enough for a proper 2 gang back box, but I don't want to do that for aesthetic reasons, even though many would think it would look better. I also do not have a crimping tool, and the space is too small to make sure I would get a solid joint.
    The socket has two cables going to the back of it, so I presume it is a ring socket. I was wondering if I could use 3 way WAGO connectors (221-413) to join the ring cables together and then run a piece of 2.5mm T&E off the third connector of each WAGO to the corresponding terminal on the socket to extend the wires. This, I guess, would effectively make it a spur off the ring, and so safe provided no further spurs were added (I have more than enough sockets, so there is no danger of this). The WAGOs would be housed in the original metal back box behind the surface mounted adapter. I have attached a diagram of how it was wired and the proposed wiring setup. Any thoughts/advice/warnings not to do it greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, you can do it like that, no problem.

3. Gerb

Gerb New Member

Thanks for that! Figured it would be OK, but I'm not too familiar with WAGOs. Thought of using splicewire push connectors to start with just to extend, but WAGOs somehow seem more robust.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The Ideal Splice / push fit connectors (and the Wago equivalents) are fine too, but Wagos lever connectors are much much easier and depending on what you have available or get in small quantities 221-213 or 222-413

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No problem at all there.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I know it’s not what you asked but ......

Do you know what the wall is built from and whats the finish - painted plaster / wallpaper / etc

You ‘should’ be able to knock out a larger hole ready for a 2 gang back box and socket without damaging wall finish

As you’ve hinted, you know this approach will look better in the long run but, more work and a chance of damage to wall, possibly

Should be doable with reasonable diy skills and confidence :)

7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

TLC sell Wagos in 10s.