Can picture rail be produced from a template?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Possom, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Possom

Possom Member

I have a 30 cm section of vintage picture rail. How feasible is it that a joiner/carpenter/woodworker can produce identical lengths of picture rail from this template?

Enough for the four walls of a room.

Thanks.

2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

very easy if you have section of it to copy

Possom likes this.
  3. Possom

Possom Member

That's good to hear - thanks.

Out of curiosity, is that just done "by eye" or do they use some type of tool which makes a copy of it?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spindle moulder is one way,can get profile cutter custom made of your picture rail, all depends on complexity of the profile being copied.
    Another way is to use a selection of cutters to build up the profile of your picture rail.
    You also might find someone else has already copied your picture rail & lengths are readily available

upload_2019-10-12_13-51-37.jpeg

Possom likes this.
  5. Possom

Possom Member

To me, the profile doesn't appear to be particularly complex.

Is getting a custom made profile cutter made expensive?

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve had skirting board made up for me to match existing, used a local joinery firm and they did a superb job - couldn’t tell the old from the new (this was following removal of a chimney breast and wanted to keep original skirts

Obviously, your paying a premium for this service so expect a much higher per meter cost than off the shelf

You can sometimes match timber profiles by searching around and using 2 or more timber trims/mouldings glued together

It may seem unlikely but could be a section of skirting board with matching part profile cut off, joined with a piece of beading or trim to match the overall original piece

Would be worth a visit to any local timber yards to see if they have anything close, look at the trim/bead selections they have in those square cubby hole displays

I’ve matched up picture rail before by using 2 trims, 1 cut down to give me the part I needed and finished with a whole trim. Couldn’t believe it but was 99% accurate to the original and no-one could spot the 1% difference

This will work out cheaper than having custom made, even if it results in some wastage

So visit some local joinerys and get a price, also take a look at some wood yards

Also worth looking online. It’s great to support local businesses but unfortunately, a much bigger range of trims and profiles available online. Not the same as seeing by eye but will have detailed measurements available

But in answer to your question, yes you can get mouldings made up to match originals

Post a picture of what your trying to match -

stevie22 and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There are quite a few picture rail profiles readily available depending on the period, in soft/hard wood,mdf,etc.

Astramax likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can you post a picture of the section you want made as I have made a few for customers myself and you wouldn't know the difference, were to a cutter to be made up the charge for making one was the expensive part. Architectural Salvage yards are also a good source as can ebay.

9. Possom

Possom Member

The back of the profile measures 45 mm.
    rail2.jpg

10. Possom

Possom Member

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How much do you require?

12. Possom

Possom Member

It would be x4 lengths - about 3.50 metres each though I'd need to check the exact measurements.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go to ebay and put this number into the search box 183815667156

KIAB, WillyEckerslike and Possom like this.
  14. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

have had many picture,dado rails,door mouldings and skirting boards made from unpainted sample's. After staining or paint they look very good & the last estate agent mentioned the timber as being original ;) sales bumff.

although we have moved to the coast,we still use this timber merchant. They will set up their mill and out pop's the product,absolutely excellent :)
    http://www.w-hanson.co.uk/W.Hanson-Timber-&-Builders-Merchant-Services-to-the-trade.html

not been there for 11 months,just hope there still in business ;)

KIAB likes this.
  15. Possom

Possom Member

Thanks for this - it's a better match than anything which I've seen at my local big box DIY store.

I hadn't realised picture rail repro was available on eBay. I'll take a look through the listings.

16. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Opps,no it cant be reproduced from a template. The above mention company need 300mm of unpainted timber and they will reproduce that as much as yo want.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. Possom

Possom Member

House dates from early 1930s. Perhaps they just used an old profile which someone happened to have...

19. Possom likes this.
  20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That’s primarily an Astragal profile mixed with Torus and a scotia mould. Type Astragal picture rail into google and see what comes up.

Possom likes this.