Can picture rail be produced from a template?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Possom, Oct 12, 2019.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Edwardian Picture Rail

[​IMG]

2. That is the item from ebay, that Astramax left the number of to look at.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not that close a match unfortunately when you compare the eBay offering with profile posted by Possum

It sounds like your using new picture rail for one complete room as opposed to joining on to existing picture rail so, does it have to match perfectly ?

Guess your trying to replicate other rooms in the house ?

As I and others have said, if you can’t buy this off the shelf, be it local or online, a joinery firm can make it for you ..... for a price ! Just depends what you’re prepared to go to for matching original

I’ve not replaced as much skirting / architraves etc as the pro boys but have found that even when you have the profile name, that doesn’t guarantee a perfect match as say Torus - Ogee - Ovolo, all common profiles, vary depending on what sawmill they come out of

All share a very similar profile but the dimensions of each part of the profile differ so when you try to extend a run of skirting, or join at a corner, it just doesn’t match up - even though overall size is the same

Keep looking is my suggestion. Forget the sheds, BQ for instance, very limited range, try a proper wood yard and find a helpful knowledgable chap if you can, then back online

Possom likes this.