Can the earth wires go in either earth screw clamp

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jules999, May 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jules999

Jules999 New Member

Hi, I've just replaced a damaged fused switched (spurred from under the counter tumble dryer socket), the original having no light indicator. The new socket has an indicator light, which, once replaced, etc, is on continuously regardless of whether the switch is on or off. I have double checked the wiring, etc but it still happens. The new socket is not heating up like the previous one when the tumble dryer is in use. My question is, the new socket clearly indicates L IN, L OUT, N IN, N OUT, but just 2 x earth symbols, with no L/N. Therefore, does it matter which earth wire goes into each earth screwclamp? And does it matter that the light is on continuously (I'm assuming it does!).

2. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

The earths wires can be separate because they will be joined together inside the spur.

Permanent indicator lamp, is either a faulty spur or you have mixed up LINE and LOAD connections.

3. Jules999

Jules999 New Member

Thanks Chester. I copied the placement of the original wiring! So, despite the appliance working, not heating up the socket and tripping the electrics, can I leave the wiring as is, or MUST I have the LOAD & LINE the correct way round?

4. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

No, any problems should be rectified

Jules999 likes this.
  5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Put it right! You have the in and out the wrong way around. (either that or the neon is wrongly connected inside the switch.

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

@Jules999 if you dont get it the right way round the switch will be on the wrong side of the fuse, so the fuse will still be live with the switch in the off position.

If you at some point need to change the fuse then potentially one end can remain live even with the switch off.

It needs correcting.