Can these be used with copper pipes too?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Theleman, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Yes,but would prefer to use a decent branded compression one like Pegler.

Theleman and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen someone break a Speed fit one, by ramming washing machine too far back into it's space.

5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I already got one of that pushfit tee, and tried on. It was leaking on copper pipe, so trying to get the inserts.

6. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yes, it leaks very badly. Not sure it supposed to leak like that on copper pipes.

7. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Now if I try to use the compression ones, then the cut pipe distance might be too wide, and the compression tees cannot reach both end of the copper pipes. Because that push fit speed fit JG tee is quite wide.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might find pegler compression tee (below) is a tad smaller in size than the speedfit,so might be ok.

[​IMG]

A: 56mm

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  9. You do not use inserts on copper,only plastic.
    You cannot have the copper far enough into the fitting to properly make the joint,hence the leak,or the o-ring is damaged.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy to damage O ring if pipe isn't burr free when pushing it into fitting.

11. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Or the pipe damaged , lumps of old paint , solder etc

12. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yes, this is it. Copper pipe is a bit short. It is because the copper pipe was cut where it had a hole off the B&Q outside tap kit was attached. The pipe was cut just after the hole, but that made the pipe too short.

13. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yes, ran out to local Screfix branch, and got the Pegler tee. It did the job. Two end of the copper pipe was still short, and there was huge space between one end of the tee and the pipe, but I pulled the pipe hard into the tee, and inserted and tightened with my spanner.

It kept coming off, but managed to secure it in the end. Tightened them very hard, and the water is now working without leaks.

Thank you. You saved my life. Without that working, we would have had nothing to eat or drink tonight.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  14. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

15. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Do the compression coupling bit need PTE taped around it? Water works well. Even outside tap is connected to the middle spout using flexi hose, and works well.

But there is a tiny drop of leak every 10 sec. from the compression coupling on the tee. I am catching the drops using a wee bucket under the tee.

16. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

17. You could have tightened it too much,try a smear of water hawk or suitable potable water paste.
    Yes but the Toolstation one is WRAS approved.

Theleman likes this.
  18. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Without taking the compression coupling off? Or should be taken off, and smear on the threads, and tighten it again?

I see. It has to come via post then? We dont have the Toolstation branches around here at all, I think.

19. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Checked for the leak from the tee joint in the bucket. There seem hardly any.
    The bucket is wet, but no sign of actual water in it.

It seems not bad for overnight leaks? Still might have to put on some compund on the joint, just to ensure long term good seals?