Can this be done?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ashenberry, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Tsk, one ear cleaned & hearing but t'other is selective :p

I was referring to the brackets.

These are lightweight doors? Cool. In which case I'd bet my bety bits that a nicely abraded contact area betwixt the hanging bracket and the door, coupled with the screws, would almost certainly ensure that these doors would not have issues.

Yes, the door material is relatively thin - what, 3 or 4mm fibreboard? - but you just try dragging a screw sideways through that material. It ain't gonna happen, man, especially as the doors are lightweight AND the metal brackets will be well bonded to the door surface.

And if the guy can add a couple of extra hanging bracket/rollers - which would also look better on such a widened door - then I'd invite myself round and swing on these doors to prove the point.

Sheeeesh.

(This one's for you :) )

2. ashenberry

ashenberry New Member

wow thanks guys i have no bloody idea what your all talking about haha but yeah i hear ya with the ****** door construction and issues with the rail whether that be bolting points or length.

maybe i should enlighten the situation a little for your help.

the mad scientist (the hubby) wants to use the sliding door idea to create a door for the built in wardrobe the dimensions of the door required is 2000mm x 1200mm. (we were oversized with the door choice but were shopping of peg)

the idea of using these doors is that they match the others in the house lol and the size of the door to have made in another finish is expensive or to thin (18mm MDF) :(

ideas more than welcome

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A reasonable carpenter/handyman could make you a made to measure door very easily

4. ashenberry

ashenberry New Member

looking into that sospan quality trades in this neck of the woods seem to be like hens teeth lol. is this finish material available to the trade? and i agree devil's advocate 2 more rollers needed just so my ocd don't flare up :)

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You dont any more rollers. There are many wider and taller doors in use with just two rollers

Where abouts in the country are you ? There are quite a few people whom could make a door for you on here

6. Why on earth would you get a carpenter to build you such a door when it won't be a match and it'll cost a small fortune?

Ashen, there really isn't a problem here. These doors are 13 kg each, so both weigh less than one solid door. Simple and easy to bond together securely, and these 'hanging' screws simply will not tear through the material upwards, provided the brackets are also bonded and are prevented from moving; it's movement that cause screws to fail in such circumstances.

The only issue remaining is how to guide the bottom of the doors. Here you either get a chippie to run a router along them to make the necessary groove (prob best idea) or else look for U-shaped guides for the whole door to run in.

Go for it - your problem has been solved :)

Then post photos of the finished job. :D

Unless it goes wrong... :oops:

7. ashenberry

ashenberry New Member

8. ashenberry

ashenberry New Member

sheffield if anyone's nearby

9. ashenberry

ashenberry New Member

can we use dowel instead of biscuits? devil's advocate

10. ashenberry

ashenberry New Member

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Don't think there is any on here nearby. Really, making doors is very simple these about a days labour to make, well wotth contacting a few wood working shops

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No comparison really as door hung was solid pine (or engineered pine to be more exact)

Really I guess the hollow choice of door could well work but, is gonna take some extra engineering to strengthen the fixing points, join doors together, cut slot for bottom guide, etc

This is all good and well if your doing this yourself as a diy project. Door is cheap, additional materials needed are cheap. Labour is free :)

Its just if a pro would take on this job as really, its a bit of a lash up and a difficult one to charge when the labour is going to far exceed the door cost but, ur the customer and its down to you to either accept the quote or not. You just need reassurance that after paying the money then this system will work and for some time in the future

Good luck with your choice :D

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its possible to join them as desired with a loose tongue and pu glue but as others say its the interaction with the rail and brackets that may cause problems. Will need a lot of mackling of doors and components to make it work.

14. Klondike Pete

Klondike Pete New Member

Err.. Why not just get some floor board timbers, (t&g), and nail 'em together and make the door yourself? Simple. Tools needed; handsaw, framing square, hammer, clout nails and sand paper. A good way to spend an afternoon, looks better and it's all your own work!