Can we convert the plunge saw sceptics??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cosworth, Dec 7, 2008.

1. cosworth

cosworth New Member

im bored,and after reading some comments in the kitchen forum i thought i'd start a plunge saw debate....

s. bury and joelp said they dont get the whole guide rail saw thing so can they be convinced otherwise.
    i think they are missing out but hope your not offended by me naming you 2 guys.

So why do we love them and why could we not live without one???
    ive only last week had my own saw but was converted a while back when my workmate bought the festool.

so the mass debate is open..... post away your opinions.

2. cosworth

cosworth New Member

ok i'l start. reason my mate bought his fes was we were fitting very expensive kitchens and the end panels were cut from tower ends and flyover panels for wall units. problem this created was we needed clean cuts BOTH sides because with a 20mm overhang off the carcass the inner 20mm was on show and splinters were not acceptable. fes solved this and made it super quick to cut panels down also. usually we used a guide clamp and standard circ saw but could not get splinter free both sides.

then i used it for trimming down doors which was a doddle and was such a time saver.
    i used to read about the fes and admit i didnt see the need at first for the saw but now i would not be with out one now. as you probably know from my other posts i bought the makita because it was cheaper but its equally good as fes( well the second one is,first was faulty).

3. parana

parana New Member

I too was a cynic but have seen the light.So get yourself down to the crossroads and Sell your soul to the devil and buy one .It will revolutionize the way you work. well worth the investment.

P

4. gint

gint Member

still not got one, in debate on dewalt 28v cordless or the cheaper festool 240v ?

5. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

Well, I was never a sceptic; as soon as I saw one being used I wanted one - after all, a circ saw's for making long straight cuts, and here was one that made the process faster and simpler. The quality of the cut and the dust extraction were a bonus, but once you experience them you won't willingly go back to a non-plunge saw.

It took me a long time to 'justify' the price of a Festool to myself, but once I had it I couldn't imagine working without it; if it was nicked tomorrow, I'd buy another immediately.

Cheers, Pete.

6. kat_1

kat_1 New Member

better finish ,easier and it paid for itself in a couple of jobs...no brainer realy

7. !!

!! New Member

Theres always going to be sceptics to anything new, it took me a while to buy one but i'm glad i did.

it hasn't made my work much better but it as made it easier

8. evo nut

evo nut New Member

My story:)

The chap i used to work for in the Cabinet Makers had one and it was so handy at cutting up sheets material on site and other bits and bobs.

Wanted one, but a cordless one and whilst working for him i just used his corded festool until he made me redudant :-(( thanks you t.s..r )

Then i went self employed for a short while and my first job was to hang 7 fire doors in old frames with well out of level heads and at the same time dewalt bought out this:

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DC351KL/

Bought it and it made the firedoors a breeze;-)

I now use it all the time, cutting up 8 x 4's, high gloss kitchen plinths and end panels, firedoors to name a few uses

Really if you haven't got one get and and if you are a cordless lover like me the the [u]cordless one[/i] is the one to get <u>gint</u>!!!;-)

evo nut

9. gint

gint Member

I know evo, i am going for it, just dealing with dewalt over another issue at the mo but should resolve this hopefully within a week, if not, will wait till after crimbo break. but cant wait, i'll keep you posted

10. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

ok, here's my reasons for not having one.

Does it really give a perfect finish both sides? As in, as good as a router? I cant see how it can as one side will always be upcutting.

Its quite rare that i need a PERFECT cut at both sides. The back of all my panels where they meet the wall, i always finish with decorators caulk (which i think you would have to do anyway for finish). When i need a good back, ie on island side panels, i do them with a router.

For hobs and sink, i once tried using a non plunge circ saw to cut one (back at the very beginning) and it jumped backwards down the worktop, ruining it all! So i now use a jigsaw. If you use a plunge saw for these, surely you still need to finish the corners with a jigsaw anyway?

When im cutting worktops down to depth, i just use a regular circular saw, without a guide. You can easily get it to within 2mm, which is enough (esp if you silicone the backs of the tops).

So i cant see any reason to get one myself. I dont fit doors either!

Someone please refute my objections!

11. cosworth

cosworth New Member

hello joel.

does it give a perfect finish both sides?

finish on melamine will be perfect both sides MOST cuts. i say this because i will admit i have had very small splints on the odd occasion on the upcut. the edge strip on the rail though is very good at providing an edge support on the upcut and is very very good.mdf,or pine etc will be flawless but melamine is the worst in the world to cut in my opinion with whatever saw you use.

but i have to say the qaulity of the cut is not the whole reason for me having one. i got really fed up of marking my workpeice twice aswell. you mark the cut line then you have to mark the cut offset for the guide clamp .. with a guide rail the blade cuts bang on the edge of the rail so you just set your cut lines, drop the rail on them and cut. no need to clamp the rail because its got anti slip bottom so does not move.

as for cutting a sink, you will need to finish corners with jigsaw but as ive just described its just a case of mark your lines,drop rail on and cut. its that simple. i have done in the past used a standard circ to cut a sink and its no comparison beleive me. riving knife!!!! say no more.
    as for cutting worktops you wont need to edge with a router at all, just trim straight on.

but another reason for me having one is im obsessed with tools anyway. ;)

12. Mattybones

Mattybones New Member

Classic..... I think most tradesmen have a thing for tools!! Women cant help buying shoes and bags, well im addicted too new tools!! Some gear i hardly ever use but when you need too make the job quicker and easier thats my excuse for a new purchase...
    The plunge saw!! I wasnt too sure if too make the purchase but once i saw a mates festool i was like a nun who hadn't came on!! I was sweating even on the coldest of days using it!! Then i saw dewalts cordless version!! Talk about decisions!! Fes doesnt need no explaining!! High quality!! Still got my same trusty fes router!! And plenty of years of life left! But then having a plunge saw cordless version just through a spanner in the mixer!!
    I decided too go with dewalts cordless just too use on site (quicker too set up, and pack away back in the van). As pre cut most on my k 975 felder sliding table saw. (Ultimate saw but the other half went nuts when she found out price)
    If i need to make a new cut or change something on a job... Whip out the plunge saw and perfect!! Its a pricey tool but i cant fault it!!! Really cant!!
    Buy one!!!!

Only problem is...... Lock it away... Eyes wonder and someone will have it!!! Thats why i take it too bed with me every night!!

13. s.bury

s.bury Member

Great to read these comments- much nicer than someone calling me a chump because I haven't seen the 'light' yet!
    I often cut high gloss and oak veneered sheets- I simply mark with masking tape, cut with a stanley blade, then finish off with a good circular saw If in doubt, I cut on the reverse side....nowt to it is there?

I watched a chippie recently spend 45 mins setting up a work bench, jig, router, 110v transformer, change the bit, set up the door, scratch his ar$e to cut out three hinge recesses....5 mins with chisel for me!-

plunge saw still seems the joiners equivalent of the electric bread knife!...a fallacy of time saving? No doubt a chorus of dissent!

14. gint

gint Member

Question for you Cos, oh and also you Matty. has the dewalt 28v got the splinter guard on opp side of blade to rail side like the festool has ??
    Just asking as this would ensure clean cuts both sides of blade.
    Also you obviously have to cut from underside of worktops sometimes when cutting close to left hand end cos there wont be anything to sit rail on ? If you see what i mean

15. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

"plunge saw still seems the joiners equivalent of the electric bread knife!...a fallacy of time saving?"

Hey, there's nothing wrong with an electric bread-knife, lol ;)

Clearly nobody's putting a gun to your head saying 'you must buy a plunge saw' - but I think we were probably all quite happy with what we had until we tried one, and the convenience of having one makes us work smarter; and the time-saving is no fallacy!

Cheers, Pete

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

"I often cut high gloss and oak veneered sheets- I simply mark with masking tape, cut with a stanley blade, then finish off with a good circular saw If in doubt, I cut on the reverse side....nowt to it is there?"

I just make a mark with my pencil, lay the guide rail to it and cut, extracting the dust as I go. No masking tape, no stanley knife, no offsetting for straight edge.

I generally chisel my hinge rebates as well.

17. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

im liking the sound of a non slip guide, thats a good idea. And i suppose if you dont buy a table saw then its a fair swap. I spent 450 on a dewalt flip saw.

Regarding chiseling hinge holes, whats all that about? You can buy a drill bit to cut a 35mm hole. Mines blunt and still works fine. 15 secs with a cordless must be faster than chiseling it!

18. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

ah my bad, are you on about full sized doors not kitchen ones?

19. cosworth

cosworth New Member

joel do you mind that im still laughing.:)
    brilliant that one.

20. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Cosworth "finish on melamine will be perfect both sides MOST cuts."

For a perfect cut on melamine ALWAYS, just set the depth of cut to 2mm and draw the saw backwards acrossthe board this cores the line of cut and then you can cut sraight through with no chips. I learnt this off a guy who had a slightly blunt blade on his fessy! :)

For anyone else who is considering buying a plungesaw the time you save, on marking and clamping straight edges alone is worth the expense, it more than halfs the time for sink and hob cutouts, end cuts on worktops that can be edged immediatly after cutting, no cleanup required. and for those of you who do doors all day, i did use my DWalt to tim the bootom of a door in situ the other day(cool). :)