Can we convert the plunge saw sceptics??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cosworth, Dec 7, 2008.

1. busy builder

busy builder New Member

I can't believe what I'm reading on here...using jigsaws to cut out sinks & hobs...indeed. All corner cuts on worktops should be radius'ed to prevent stress cracking.

Drill each corner and plunge saw in between, leaves a nice perpendicular cut with no wavy edges....oh and its quicker with the p/s.

2. russ295

russ295 New Member

i have had a festool ts55 for a few years now, i only really fit kitchens, if it broke or got pinched i would buy another without doubt!
    with a sharp blade (i have 4 on the go) you can cut a worktop face up and fit edging trim, job finished, sink/hob cutouts are effortless, filler panels, decor ends, if i have a straight butt joint in worktops(done 2 today) i use the saw not my router.
    i used to spend a fortune on jiggy blades (downcuters) but in what i have saved would have nearly paid for the saw.
    its a pleasure to use and a real timesaver, plus hooked up to an extractor and you could cut in someones living room and not make a mess!
    as a kitchen fitter its an invaluable tool, as a site joiner prob not necessary.

russ

3. gint

gint Member

going for the festool now, but the dewalt rail looks to be better than the festool rail, anyone know if this is true ?

4. evo nut

evo nut New Member

get the cordless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;-)

evo nut

5. gint

gint Member

love to but having a bit of debate with dewalt at mo over 36v circ piece of *****

6. RK Joiner

RK Joiner New Member

I'd love one.. especially a cordless but have to agree whilst It would make many tasks easier... I dont think it would improve the quality of finish acheivable using other tools and methods.

Doors... I tend to cut with a bacho hand saw if they're pre finished and just with a reg circ saw with a finishing blade if they're cheap ****. worktop sink cut outs I use the circ saw again... I just hold the guard up, crank the saw on and plunge the circ saw into the worktop with downwards and forwards motion. Anything finer I would use a router and straight edge.

Btw makita router table from our hosts just arrived,,, utter shitte... arrived laminate surface damaged on table top, not to mention the 45 degree marks on table top and sliding mitre guide show different by about 5 degrees. Pishh!

7. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

"going for the festool now, but the dewalt rail looks to be better than the festool rail, anyone know if this is true ?" Gint
    The Dewalt rail is basically the same as the FEST,with only 1 guide extruded into it!
    BUT did you all know the Dewalt was designed so it can be used on the festool rail?
    Plunge action on Dewalt is better!
    but the removable lead and lead position on Festool is better than DW!(not a problem on cordless one)
    Dewalt feels better quality, FEST feels plasticy and cheap!(although its NOT)

8. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

"...but the dewalt rail looks to be better than the festool rail..."

DW rail only has a single central 'rib', so you can use both edges of the rail to cut with - saves manhandling a long rail around in a confined space e.g. kitchen. Or you could keep one edge for a fine-finish blade, and the other for a coarser ripping blade with a wider kerf??

Then again the longest rail DW make is a 1.5m, so probably not really that big a deal in real-world use, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with either the Festool or DW.

Cheers, Pete

9. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Pete,

dewalt do a 2.6m rail ;)

evo nut

10. handymanforhire

Ah! I missed that, thanks.;)

11. gint

gint Member

Hey "cos" you never answered my question. Does the Dewalt saw have a splinter guard as the Festool saw has ???
    Imean on opp side of blade to rail, ?

12. gint

gint Member

I mean

13. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Cmon Gint the suspence is KILLING me !

14. cosworth

cosworth New Member

sorry gint. ive got the makita and it hasnt but im not sure about the dewalt. didnt answer cos i thought someone who had the dewalt would give the answer.

15. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

gint, yes the dewalt DOES have a splinter guard on each side of the rail, thus making the rail reversable! HTH :)

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm not sure if that was the question.

17. cosworth

cosworth New Member

cordless, i think he's reffering to the splinter guard on the fes thats fitted to the saw so that both sides of the upcut are protected from splinters. the rail on all saws gives splinter free on rail side of blade but i think fes is the only one that has this feature with the add on for the saw.

18. gint

gint Member

Yes cosworth thats what i'm on about. Not on the rail but the one thats fitted to the saw as on the Festool if you've seen it "ck"
    In other words, the rail has a splinter guard fitted into it so the saw blade should brush up against it -but what is on the other side of the saw blade ? On the Festool it has a splinter guard fitted to the saw itself so its splinter free BOTH sides of the saw blade. Hope you get what I mean, The Festool lads will know, but just asking if the Dewalt has this feature because I'm not sure/do'nt think it has.
    Cheers lads, phew

19. handymanforhire

I'm pretty sure the saw-mounted splinter-guard is a Festool-only thing at the moment - patented, probably, like the indented depth-gauge??

Must admit, I've never needed to use the one that came with my TS55... - maybe I'm just cutting waaaay too much MDF, lol.

Cheers, Pete

20. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

No gint there is NO saw mounted splinter guard on the DW
    but there wasnt one on the FESTOOL i used either, and il stick to me guns and say the performance is equal :)