Can we convert the plunge saw sceptics??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cosworth, Dec 7, 2008.

1. gint

gint Member

well is it a clean splinter free cut on both sides of the blade if say- cutting high gloss worktops from face up ? just curious mate ?

2. cosworth

cosworth New Member

the makita has a quick setting to drop the blade 2mm only which is used for just scoring the face before a full cut. if you use this its bang on perfect both sides of cut. just means 2 passes but not to much trouble really if the workpeice is of value. fes hasnt got that. although of course you can set 2mm on any saw, but on the makita its just, push a button in- score cut, button out full cut.

3. cosworth

cosworth New Member

also gint, did you go to bed late or get up early? 3.52am?????

4. gint

gint Member

couldnt sleep mate, i often have nights like that

5. back from the grave

back from the grave New Member

ive not done much finishing work for a few years where i would need a decent cut but i needed a new circular saw last year and bought the bosch gks65? there was an offer on to buy the guide rails to go with it, all in it was about £200, this is not a plunge saw but the guide rail looks the same as the makita one will this give me as good a finish with a 40 tooth blade? i have never used the guide rail but now thinking it may be handy in the future

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Go back to the grave and stop resurrecting dead topics

7. back from the grave

but the thread is alive and needs more answers

what do you suggest we post a new thread about the same topic every week?

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The post is only alive because you started posting on it, the last post was 8 months ago not last week and your question is different to what was being discussed so, yes, start a new topic.

9. back from the grave

maybe the mods should be deleting all the old threads then in that case but im of the opinion that if im reading a thread and have a question its better to ask on that thread and keep all the related stuff together - it makes for a much better reference search than a thousand short threads about the same thing, a thread is only dead if the information in it is obsolete which this one obviously isnt

there is nothing more annoying than searching and finding hundreds of threads with a couple of posts, definatly better all in one place

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This is a topic about plunge saws and you don't have a plunge saw. Your question is whether your saw blade and rail will give a good cut.
    Looking through your posts so far most of them are replies to old topics and on most of them you have been asked why you're digging up old material.
    It is very common for newbies, such as yourself, to search through old topics till they find something they feel they can comment on but mostly they get over it after their first post.
    The reason topics stop being commented on is that everybody involved has got what they need out of it and have moved on.