Can wooden cladding be plastered over?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by d.i.why?, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:12 PM.

1. d.i.why?

d.i.why? New Member

Hi. Any advice on what option would be best to cover the wooden board cladding in the picture?

Not sure what's behind it, if anything, definitely nothing too solid as it feels like just the width of the boards are between mine and my neighbour's side. They've got a smooth finish on their side whereas we've got the wooden cladding.

Ideally we would like a smooth plastered wall-like finish. Is this possible and would plaster or render be better suited for this? Will either stick to the boards?

Would it then be strong enough to hold a hanging basket or two?

Thanks.

clad1.jpg

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

It is only a small area but it is outside and exposed to damp. I suggest a single sheet of ply screwed through the T&G into the battens, seal around the edges and you will have a smooth surface onto which you can fis a hanging basket oe two.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  3. d.i.why?

d.i.why? New Member

Thanks Bob.

Would mesh over the t&g and then render on top be able option or is that definitely out?

I won’t be attempting it, I would definitely leave it to the professionals.

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Wood moves and breathes in relation to the atmosphere, so despite the mesh any render is likely to eventually crack.

5. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Well-Known Member

Better off just over boarding it with something, ply, pvc board etc

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Rip the cladding off and fix cement board providing the battens are in good nick, then render over it.

pppmacca43 likes this.