Can you mole swa?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JustPhil, Aug 13, 2019.

1. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Electrician has instructed me to provide a 600mm deep trench for the 25m run to my workshop. He’s recommended getting someone with a mini digger in.
    It’s occurred to me it could be moled? I had a water pipe moled and it was quite cost effective and minimised disruption big time.
    So can this be done? What to do with the warning tape?

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Yes.

Moling will be a lot more more expensive ( make sure your sitting down before you read the quote) than hiring a mini digger for a day,(around £75 a day,probably around £150 for digger & driver a day) what is ground like, you could dig 25mtr trench easily in a day,heavy clay allow 2 days.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  3. Mike58

Mike58 Active Member

You could even get a labourer to dig that in maybe 1-2 days.

I had a 25m 750 deep, 400 wide trench dug in had solid clay soil, and it took around 2 days.

4. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

it is horrible heavy clay, but maybe I'll start with a quote from a landscaper I've used before and see what we get before turning to moling.

Cheers guys

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

A mornings work with mini digger for that trench.:)

6. Mike58

Mike58 Active Member

But, 1 day rental, delivery and collection, and if needed, someone to operate could be over £200 OR a local man and digger around here is £200-240.

What is the price of a labourer?

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

I should have thought that by the time you have dug the access and egress pits for the mole you could have done a fair bit of the trench anyway.
    Have you looked into hiring a chain trenching machine and how that compares?

KIAB likes this.
  8. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Active Member

I had 145m dug out in clay and back filled in under a whole day for £170 (small digger)

9. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Well-Known Member

how much was it to have the water pipe moled.

10. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

A few years I charged £150 for 100mtr trench (dig & refill) for new water main,again a days work.

11. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

I’m not actually sure as it was part of a larger insurance job, total claim was about a grand.