can you tile on top of felt

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RS, May 18, 2004.

1. RS

RS New Member

Can i use normal floor tiles on a felt roof, i dont like the look of prom tiles. if so what adhesive should i use

2. capnpugwash

capnpugwash New Member

John McEnroe

3. the trader

the trader New Member

Why the hell do you want to put FLOOR tiles on a roof???
    Use roof tiles.

4. boris the blade

boris the blade New Member

you could use lino = less joints, ive got some old off cuts if you want them........ LOL

Josh.91 likes this.
  5. RS

RS New Member

Its a balcony

6. I see no reason why you can't use frost proof ceramics or porcelain, the difficulty here is what adhesive you need to use.

This is an unusual request and you need a proper technical specification from an adhesive supplier such as BAL or Ardex.

I think the felt might cause a problem and I probably would have constructed it in a different way if I knew I'd be tiling it, but as I say, for a definitive answer the best thing is to phone one of the bigger adhesive manufacturers.

They all have technical helplines, I use them regularly when I come across high specification jobs. They are quite helpful and will give you honest advice as they can't risk selling you a product that doesn't work.

7. RS

RS New Member

thanks,ive spoke to ardex they told me to use an acrylic primer first then add a flexible additive to the mix

8. RS

RS New Member

whats the difference between acrylic and pva

9. dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress New Member

Firstly, was the roof ever intended to be used as a balcony and therefore will it be sufficiently rigid to accept the additional dead loads imposed by the tiles and live loads imposed by use of peeps.

Secondly if you are tiling on mineral felt, you must make arrangements for the felt to expand and contract and breath. Any trapped mooisture will cause the roof to fail.

Thirdly, normal flex adhesives wont be suitable.

10. nigel

nigel Guest

Unlikely the roof is designed for foot traffic, suspended decking would be more suitable.

11. RS

RS New Member

the balcony is set back into the roof, the floor is t & G then felt then tiles, but had started to leak, ive striped it back to the t&G then used 3/4 inch ply to board it out had it refelted to make it water tight, now im looking for the best way to adhere the new ceramic floor tiles

12. Mof

Mof Guest

Hi RS Pity you did not concrete the roof then you could have tiled to your hearts consent, best go to the splash point and have a real ale, Oh sorry its closed now.

13. RS

RS New Member

Thanks mof, i did think about concreting, but i had great difficulty getting the wheel barrow up the stairs without spilling the concrete

14. Cam62

Cam62 New Member

Hi RS, Wondering how you got on with tiling on to your felt roof? I have a similar problem!

15. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

14 years on...:rolleyes:

16. Cam62

Cam62 New Member

Yes, I know a bit of long shot but was kinda thinking if he was still living there and the tiles were still down then the adhesive!

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He hasn't been seen since June 2004.

18. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

I would have suggested tar - felt adhesive.

19. Cam62

Cam62 New Member

I will look into that, thanks!

20. timpal

timpal New Member

Alternative option- Do a search for 'paving pedestal feet' and use a thick porcelain tile (needs to be self supporting).
    Have done this before, so the paving/ tiles effectively floats over the existing roof.
    But you might be adding quite a bit of weight to the roof, so need to check its capable of taking it.