CANNOT REMOVE KITCHEN MIXER TAP SPOUT

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dimmy, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM.

1. dimmy

dimmy Member

Hi

A while ago I replaced the o rings in my kitchen mixer tap spout....simply by removing the grub screw at the back of the spout and removing it in seconds. BUT I tried to do the same job on a friends mixer tap which is leaking from the bottom of the spout where it meets the base. HOWEVER there is no grub screw and no shroud etc. The spout is quite wobbly anyway but I tried with a lot of upward force with the spout in EVERY position but it won't budge ...ARE some of these spouts made so as not to be removed which means a new tap?.....many thanks for any advice.

2. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    If there’s no grub screw, it normally is, like you say, turn it 90 degrees, or whatever, and it pulls out.
    Our host on here, sell new ones fo £39.99
    So it’s probably the way to go ?

I’ve fitted a few of these, and they seem ok,
    It’s like I say

“all modern plumbing fitting are rubbish, so it’s either cheap rubbish, or expensive rubbish, take you pick”

ok, it’s a long saying

good luck
    Peter

3. dimmy

dimmy Member

4. dimmy

dimmy Member

Many thanks....turned it every way I could through from left to right.. still wouldn't budge even though it's wobbly and loose at the spout base swivel join .I know there must be 2 things that have to line up on the base of the spout and the base itself ..thenpull. .hate to let it beat me..but even if I did get the spout out the replacement o rings are hit and miss and might not be able to get the correct ones. .end up getting new taps maybe ..thanks

5. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

If the spout does not rise slightly up, then it probably is type that has a little ball built into it that has to align with a notch in the inner part of tap base. This would normally be spout at very approximately 90 degree ( to the left or right) - i.e. In a 9 o'clock or a 3 o'clock position.
    I notice some taps are just a tad further back than those positions.
    If it is a spout that is actually lifting half up, then be careful not to damage it as the spouts are often now thin metal and will snap at grooves. The bottom O ring catches on the tap body and often impossible to remove those spouts.
    Taps are now mostly poor quality as has been mentioned