Can't reach socket - cap off live flex with JB?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Eyattwop, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Eyattwop

Eyattwop New Member

Our new house has fitted units with integrated fridge freezer and electric oven. Oven is tripping the fuse as is on the same circuit as the kitchen sockets. Looks like previous owner got an isolation switch installed ready to move the oven onto that and just didn't get the job finished. The isolation switch is even already marked on the fuse box. Switching the power supply onto that is gonna be a pretty straightforward job.

What I'm not sure about is the flex that I'll be disconnecting from the back of the oven. That disappears into the back of the fitted units. Given it's on the circuit called kitchen sockets, I'm pretty sure there's a socket somewhere back there with the fridge freezer and oven plugged in.

I've capped off live wires in junction boxes before but never a live wire coming from a plug socket, which must be a pretty unusual thing! Is it appropriate to do this? Or do I really have to suck it up and start getting the integrated fridge freezer out and go hunting for this sob plug socket?

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Pull the plinth off first and have a look under the cabinets.

3. Eyattwop

Eyattwop New Member

With the plinth off I can see some trailing flex going up behind the fridge freezer. It's too deep to reach in and up to feel for a socket.

I've found the oven manual and it came fitted with a 13a plug, so the oven is happy to be on a socket... It's just the circuit that isn't happy with the load. Looking at the fuse box this circuit is only on 20A, so a fair solution would be to swap this out for 32A or 40A?

4. dray

dray Active Member

Have you looked above the top units, just saying as my old integrated freezer socket had been shortened as it dropped down from the ceiling so the plug was accessible from above.

5. adgjl

adgjl Member

No. You need to know the design of the socket circuit (ring or radial), the cable size and the earth loop impedance of the circuit before you can do that. If you just swap the circuit breaker, overloading the socket circuit could cause a fire rather than just tripping the circuit breaker.

6. Eyattwop

Eyattwop New Member

Roger that. Burning the house down is not a reasonable solution to the grill/tripping problem.

I'm thinking about getting a full electrics inspection now tbh. May as well get it checked out at the start before we bed down into the place