Can't remove concealed shower cartridge

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pipedream72, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Pipedream72

Pipedream72 New Member

Folks, I'm trying to replace the hot and cold valves in a concealed shower. I've unscrewed the valves and then feel like they've got to the point where they can't unscrew any more, but I can't pull them out. Its like something is stopping them from coming out. I can't really get any purchase to remove them. I've noticed you can get a 'puller' for some plumbing jobs and have tried screwing a screw into the head of one cartridge (see photo) to help get some purchase to pull it out, but it still won't budge.

Can anyone tell me why I'm struggling? It feels like I've missed something obvious that is preventing them coming out, but I can't see any grub screw or retaining ring or anything.

Thanks,

Steve

Attached Files:

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

you have good start with the screw on it :)
    now take piece of timber 1x1" rest it on the mixer body, flat screwdriver and while levering on screwdriver move with the cartridge up and down, side to side, be aware where your screwdriver has a contact with the cartridge- avoid contact in line with O-ring seal
    looks like valve seals has been squeezed and now blocking the cartridge in

3. Pipedream72

Pipedream72 New Member

Hi xedmin, thanks for your reply....been on hols and only just given it a shot. Struggled to get a bit of wood in suitable place to use as a lever. Ended up using wrench on the end of screw to pull/wiggle the valve. Was weird....they just didn't seem to want to slowly come out and then all of a sudden the brass end of the cartridge came out....but without the plastic part!!!!! After a moment (it was more like 5 minutes) of panic I tried getting a small screwdriver down the side of the plastic part of the cartridge while also pulling on it with some long nose pliers. WIth a bit of wriggling it eventually came out....minor disaster averted...

Then moved onto the second cartridge....exactly the same happened but again managed to lever out the plastic bit. Was worried that levering out with screwdriver might have damaged the thread but new ones went back in ok and we are now back in action!!!

Thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019