Can't work out how to put large showerhead back on :-(

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mrs JJJ, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Mrs JJJ

Mrs JJJ New Member

No, yer honour - I wasn't the one who took it off! One of my elderly relative's guests removed the larger showerhead from her shower (ours not to reason why) and left it off. I've tried to put it back on, but I'm no engineer and I just can't work out how it fits on. It's a fairly new shower and looks fairly conventional.

Little curved bits of metal (flanges?) are distributed around the fixed bit of the showerhead. One is split. Into two, with a small gap between the two halves. The rim of the plate with the holes in it has a small ridge on it. There is one small bit of metal sticking out from the rim, which I thought would fit between the gap in the split flange on the fixed bit. I tried positioning it there and twisting the plate on. After trying this several times, it dawned on me that this was, of course, impossible! I then tried positioning the pin in the gap and pushing the rest of the plate, to try to snap it on - and the same thing but pushing the plate on and pushing the pin into the gap afterwards. But neither seemed to work. And now I've run out of. Ideas. :(

It doesn't look as though anything has broken off. So my guess is the problem is user error, rather than a problem with the shower plate. It's possible, I suppose, that in my snap-on efforts, I didn't push hard enough. But. I was scared to force It, because I didn't know whether this was the method and since it's not MY shower, I was afraid of breaking it.

If anyone here could explain to me how such plates fit onto the showerhead, please, I'd be really grateful!

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I don't know the answer... but I do know that some photos would help.
    Can you take some and post them here?

Regards,

Cando

Mrs JJJ likes this.
  3. Mrs JJJ

Mrs JJJ New Member

IMG_0781.JPG IMG_0778.JPG Thank you, Cando, for responding and for your suggestion! I'm no photographer, but I'll try to upload the files. If it doesn't work, or if a view from another angle, etc. would enable anyone to help, I'll gladly try again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking at 1st photo, it's look like there is only part of the centre fixing,seems to be just half of it, hard to be sure from photo.

Mrs JJJ likes this.
  5. Mrs JJJ

Mrs JJJ New Member

Thank you very much, KIAB! I think you responded as I was tryouts no to edit my post to add a photo - and seem to have messed up the post? :( There is a white bit in the centre of each half. So I wonder whether the centre fixing has broken in half, then? Oh dear. I'll have another look at that bit, which I have to admit I haven't really.ooked at at all, rather foolishly, I now realise! And I'll try to repost the original, smaller set of photos, which I think you may have been looking at when you responded. In any case, I'm very grateful for the idea.

6. Mrs JJJ

Mrs JJJ New Member

Oops! My apologies for talking rubbish there! (The penalty for reading and posting in haste when I was really supposed to be elsewhere...) As is, in fact, obvious from my now-gigantic :-( photos, only one side has the white bit. And there is a mark on the other bit, which doesn't match the unexposed side of the white centrepiece. So I think you may well be right, KIAB and the centrepiece has broken in half. :-( That would explain why it wasn't put back on. I suppose the other half (ie the evidence) got thrown away!

I hope it will be possible to buy a new centre fixing, rather than having to buy a new showerhead.
    My grateful thanks again to both of you who replied to my question,

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I reckon someone tried turning the shower head for a different shower pattern!

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The part with the shower spray holes, try to get that out of the part it's in. You may find it just pops out, and on the other side in the centre is a screw, with the broken piece of plastic still screwed into. That bit of plastic may be broken from the centre of the ceiling part.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As it's connected to a chome wall arm, can you not unscrew & replace complete shower head,than trying too repair it.