Capped gas pipe by wood burning stove

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by JJBB, Nov 30, 2018.

1. JJBB

JJBB New Member

Hi
    Just wondering whether it's okay to have a capped gas pipe in the fireplace with a wood burning stove?
    A gas safe engineer has capped the gas pipe and its sticking out approx 20mm above the hearth. It will be very close to where the stove is planned to be (a few inches at most), although the stove will obviously be on legs.
    I am dubious, but the gas safe engineer was adamant that it was fine. The pipe was capped using solder, and the engineer said the heat would have to be very intense over a period of time in order to effect the seal/solder, and that wouldn't happen just from the stove heat.
    I'm waiting to hear back from the HETAS engineer who will be fitting the stove.

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

What's to stop you knocking it.

3. JJBB

JJBB New Member

It is at the back corner of the fireplace, so most likely to be near-ish one of the rear legs of the stove, so unlikely to be accidentally knocked.

4. JJBB

JJBB New Member

We can't easily cap it further back in the supply, as the pipe runs under the concrete for about a run of 6 meters.

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I certianly wouldn't be happy with it's location, but I don't do gas.

6. JJBB

JJBB New Member

No :-(
    The gas safe engineer made me feel like I was panicking unnecessarily, but I do feel concerned.

7. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

If it had to stay I think I'd box in somehow or protect it with a fixed ornament for protection

8. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Probably nothing in the regs preventing this but i would endeavour to avoid.
    Gas burners are sometimes just inches from live gas pipes.
    Is it not possible to locate the tee piece from were the fire supply started.

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Well-Known Member

It will not get hot enough to melt the solder unless it is actually in the flames. If you are still worried change for a compression cap.

10. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

We have a similar situation although the old gas supply is just off to the front.

It never gets that hot underneath the stove...you can easily keep your hand there. Definitely not hot enough to melt solder!

11. Severntrent

Severntrent New Member

Soon as you mention working on gas all the gas safe people say make sure its done by a gas safe fitter. Well you have done that, so hopefully these gas safe people know what they are doing.