Capped radiator pipes not getting warm

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Parkie1976, Oct 25, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Parkie1976

Parkie1976 New Member

Hi all,

I have had the rad removed temporarily in my bathroom whilst it’s being refurbished. Both pipes that feed to the rad have been capped off with the white plastic caps. My concern is that when the heating of turned on, neither of these pipes get warm and I’d have thought one would still have the hot water flowing up to the cap. Obviously I’m not experienced with this but the tradesman has already made some cock ups and this pipe work runs under the new flooring he’s installed and any issues may mean the flooring coming up again. Hope I’m worrying about nothing. Cheers.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's not getting hot because there's no flow in the capped pipe so the water cannot circulate back to the boiler. It's basically stagnant water. It's the same principle as only closing one valve on the radiator when you want to turn it off.

3. Parkie1976

Parkie1976 New Member

Thanks for this. Sounds like I’m worrying about nothing!

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Hopefully! Given your comments about other issues you can never be too sure though. Did the radiator work before it was removed?

5. Parkie1976

Parkie1976 New Member

Yes the rad worked fine. But here’s my worry. A while back he sent me a message saying the boiler needed repressurised when I got home. Easy enough to do but every time I tried to do it the gauge dropped back to zero quickly so I figured there was a leak. I found it under the bathroom joists, the same pipe we’ve been talking about. He’d managed to break it and the water was pouring out onto the ground below. He capped it off the next day and then added a new piece of pipe to come above the floor ready for the rad to be fitted again. but ever since, I’ve not been able to regulate the boiler pressure as it gradually rises and I have to bleed a rad every other day. The boiler is also making a clicking sound when the heating is turned on (main combi eco). I know there is a slight leak from the valve that attaches to the loop where you re-pressurise the boiler so I’m hoping that’s all it is. I’ve probably caused that valve to leak by attempting to add pressure so many times whilst the pipe was broken.

6. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

No flow,that's the reason. Once the new radiator goes in and the system topped up and bled you should be back to normal

Don't forget the inhibitors as you've lost most of your central heating water

7. Parkie1976

Parkie1976 New Member

Thanks for your reply but Sorry not sure what you mean by inhibitors.

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Inhibitor is a chemical that gets added to the central heating system to inhibit corrosion.

9. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

No offence to the OP, but I cannot imagine going thru life having no appreciation of how all the things in my home and car (and domestic equipment) operate.
    I think most of the guys on here take it for granted.
    I never read instruction manuals as i just don't have time to learn all those languages.:)

10. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

You say that but how many of us can code an app or a website, know the law of can invest wisely....have we bothered to learn that.

I've got no problem with my customers knowing nothing because they pay me to do it. I make a good living from people giving me their custom....one customer pays me to change his water filters every two months.....80 quid a throw....i really don't mind or judge . It's far worse knowing a little and then trying to tell the person you've employed how to do it.

There are lots of really good DIYers out there this person is just concerned or has lost confidence in the person doing the work for what ever reason.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. Parkie1976

Parkie1976 New Member

Exactly thanks.